Apple Store won't let me exchange unless I order online first

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
I called my Apple Store to inquire about coming in to exchange a week old 7 plus for the 8 plus and they told me I had to order it online and have it reserved in the store first. I do show that they have them, but they are saying even if I come in, they would have to order it online and then pull the phone from stock when it shows ready for pick up and they said it could take a day beacause they are bogged down with X orders. What? I'm just exchanging and even if I do order order online for pickup, I can't because it is on a ATT installment plan and not eligible for an upgrade now. This all makes no sense to me just to exchange.

Kahsheh

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2016
That does not make sense. Can you just come in to the store to exchange? Or Maybe because it is an online order return and buy a new one?

Reactions: pdxmatts

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
That does not make sense. Can you just come in to the store to exchange? Or Maybe because it is an online order return and buy a new one?
I bought it at the Apple Store. I asked why I can't just exchange since they have it in stock and they told me I had to do it this way even if I come into the store.

Last edited:

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014
I ordered an 8 in a higher GB model and decided I didn't need that much and went to my apple store and exchanged it for the lower GB model and had no issues...I know it's different phones but the situation is still the same, an exchange. I'm not sure why they're telling you to order it online first.

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
i just called back and a rep told me that it was due to reseller policy for the 8's and 10's and since I didn't buy it outright they can make an exception for me. They said come in and they will work it out and that he would email a manager my name and the situation. I still am stumped why they are making this so hard. I don't want to drive all the way there just to have them say sorry can't do it and we have no email about it.

allthingsapple!

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2014
i just called back and a rep told me that it was due to reseller policy for the 8's and 10's and since I didn't buy it outright they can make an exception for me. They said come in and they will work it out and that he would email a manager my name and the situation. I still am stumped why they are making this so hard. I don't want to drive all the way there just to have them say sorry can't do it and we have no email about it.
This must be something new since the X is on its way because I've never ever had this issue before with anything I've needed to return to the apple store. I would call back and ask to speak directly to the manager just to make sure you aren't wasting a trip there.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
They can't prevent you from simply returning your iPhone 7 and then purchasing the iPhone 8. It is not just a simple exchange now days with financing like IUP or AT&T Next.

Sounds like a store is trying to get credit for an additional turn. Since they have to return your iPhone 7 they want to get credit for an additional iPhone 8. If you just take on from their inventory, they have to wait for an inventory replacement iPhone 8 for all the iPhone X customers on Friday that don't score an X.

Dave

pdxmatts

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Portland, OR
They can't prevent you from simply returning your iPhone 7 and then purchasing the iPhone 8. It is not just a simple exchange now days with financing like IUP or AT&T Next.

Sounds like a store is trying to get credit for an additional turn. Since they have to return your iPhone 7 they want to get credit for an additional iPhone 8. If you just take on from their inventory, they have to wait for an inventory replacement iPhone 8 for all the iPhone X customers on Friday that don't score an X.

Dave
I never thought about that. But still seems like they are making it so hard for the exchange in hopes that customers won't even bother?
[doublepost=1509415379][/doublepost]So, should I go in and tell them I want an 8 Plus and then when they bring it out, then tell them I want to exchange? That way I know they have it right there in front of me? I have never had to actually return or exchange an iPhone before.

Last edited:

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
I would just leave out the word "exchange", you are not doing that. You are purchasing the iPhone 8+ on AT&T Next and you are returning your iPhone 7+ also on AT&T Next to complete the transaction. As you indicated above, there is no way for you to order an iPhone 8+ since you already have an active Next program. The rep will still have to complete the return of the iPhone 7+ first.

The term "exchange" in the recent Apple history was most often referenced when you want to exchange a black iPhone for a Silver one for example. However, even this is not really an exchange since the rep must process the return before selling you the new iPhone.

Dave