Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In late 2021, Apple Stores and Apple Authorized Service Providers gained access to a new "AirPods Firmware Updater" diagnostic tool for updating a customer's AirPods Pro to the latest firmware version when necessary.

AirPods-Firmware-Feature.jpg

In an internal memo today, obtained by MacRumors, Apple announced that the tool is now capable of updating the firmware on second-generation AirPods as well. Both the AirPods Pro and second-generation AirPods are now listed as supported models, but not the third-generation AirPods or the AirPods Max.

The tool allows technicians with access to Apple Service Toolkit 2 to install the latest firmware on a customer's AirPods in certain scenarios, such as if the customer's left or right AirPod failed to update or the customer is using a non-iOS companion device.

The firmware updater tool is for Apple's internal use only. Beyond visiting an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider, there is no direct way for customers to update the firmware on their AirPods. In general, AirPods connected to an iPhone or iPad should automatically update to the latest firmware after a short period, and it may help to keep the AirPods in their charging case and connected to a power source.

(Thanks, @StellaFudge!)

Article Link: Apple Stores Can Now Update Firmware on Second-Generation AirPods

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

Crowbot

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2018
NYC
The question in my mind is why the latest firmware should NOT be installed on a particular model of AirPods. Assuming compatibility, of course. Apple has always seemed a bit fishy when it comes to firmware updates to small devices like AirPods.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
It’s ridiculous that they don’t let us force a firmware update ourselves.
Also, more transparency on what each update is for.

If it's merely bug fixes and performance improvements, fine. But new functionalities and changes to existing behavior (e.g., audio quality) should be disclosed.

• Love
Reactions: mjs916 and RyanXM

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I agree with everyone that it should be possible for a user to update firmware themselves. Having said that, I can’t make out if this “tool” is SW only or whether there is some HW component to it. I think it’s the latter…

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
I agree with everyone that it should be possible for a user to update firmware themselves. Having said that, I can’t make out if this “tool” is SW only or whether there is some HW component to it. I think it’s the latter…
The latter.

Reactions: jz0309

Karma*Police

Suspended
Jul 15, 2012
Maybe they should release a fix for Airpods Max stuttering and crackling when paired with an Apple TV first.

Craptastic

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2020
It’s a tool specific to Apple. You’ll likely see it if you go to the store on an Airpod appointment. I believe it’s the same tool being used to verify serial numbers on iPads and iPhones before service.

Reactions: jz0309

Sydnxt

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2021
It’s a tool specific to Apple. You’ll likely see it if you go to the store on an Airpod appointment. I believe it’s the same tool being used to verify serial numbers on iPads and iPhones before service.
It is! Serial Number Reader (SNR)

Updating AirPods is an annoying manual process that requires taking them in and out of the case throughout the update process. It takes about 25 minutes.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
It is! Serial Number Reader (SNR)

Updating AirPods is an annoying manual process that requires taking them in and out of the case throughout the update process. It takes about 25 minutes.
not surprised ... since the watch takes ~ 30 min from download, preparing, verifying ...

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

alien3dx

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2017
It’s ridiculous that they don’t let us force a firmware update ourselves.
if firmware can fix the bugs which mine battery 60% and sudden drop to 0 (microsoft team).So today i cant stand anymore bought apple airpod pro. i'm really confuse anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.