Apple stores charge $50 to back up hard drive!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Joshua8o8, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

So i got my first kernel panic and now safari, itunes and a few other apps. wont launch. I called apple care and they walked me though a few attempts to try and resolve my problems. The lady was nice and helpful but could not resolve my issue. It came down to me having to reinstall my HD. She said i could store a backup of it on another mac, but i dot have another mac so she said i could take it to an apple store and have them back it up to one of their computers. What she didnt tell me was that it costed $50 dollars. I talked to a tech. at my local apple store over the phone and he said if your hard drive is in working order they will back it up. I paid $1400 for my macbook $250 for apple care and now they want $50 more to back up my hard drive. They will help me reinstall it for free, why cant they just back it up? I dont think thats cool at all! O well thats my story for today...

2. OldSkoolNJ macrumors 6502

OldSkoolNJ

Sounds like a fair price. I have heard a lot higher and even by the gb! They don't say anywhere if you don't back up don't worry we will just do It for you . Anyone who uses a computer now adays should be backing up.

Kevin :apple:

3. neven macrumors 6502a

That sounds like an extremely reasonable price. I don't think any computer repair service will back up your data for free or guarantee the safety of it.

You can buy an external hard drive for backup for less than $100; you need one anyway.

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I agree that the price sounds reasonable....guess it's the price you pay for not doing it yourself...

5. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

That sounds extremely reasonable. The best price I can find locally (no Apple store within 100 miles) is $2/GB.

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It is unfortunate, as it's only temporary, but I agree that it's hopefully an incentive to buy a cheap backup drive. As mentioned, they're under $100 and perhaps well under $100 for what you need, and, whatever they cost, they're far cheaper than a data recovery service.

7. BorderPatrol macrumors newbie

I work for a in a retail pc repair shop. We charge $70 for data backup, or $150 for data recovery, and that's regarded as very cheap, Geeksquad would charge you twice that as a base for 1 disc.

Think of it this way. You did not have a backup plan in place, and now you want someone to backup your data for you. They are performing labor that you should be doing on a regular basis. So pay that $50 and then go spend $70 on a cheap external HDD and set yourself up a weekly backup routine.

Just be thankful they informed you ahead of time. Companies such as HP, Dell, etc. would reformat as the first step in diagnostic of you computer.

8. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I wish it was always as cheap to back up data. $50 is a reasonable price. Future shop charges $79 and you have to supply the hard drive or DVD's.

9. Joshua8o8 thread starter macrumors 6502

ahh ok i learned something new. Thanks for the replies. Fortunately my HD did not need to be backed up, the Genius was able to fix my problem without doing so. I guess my only issue was that was hoping apple care, which i paid for, would have covered the $50 dollar charge. But like BorderPatrol stated, its not a " back up plan ".

10. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

For future reference should you have to mail your computer into Apple for repair under the AppleCare warranty, Apple recommends you to backup your data before sending your computer in.

11. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

The Next Byte stores in Australia will back up your data if you ask. They have external drives lying around everywhere as well as an entire unorganised library of peripherals.