Apple stores don't carry the 8-core machines???

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by HotPink, Apr 16, 2009.

1. HotPink macrumors newbie

I live near about 10 apple stores, and *none* carry 8-core MPs... just the two quads.

Anyone know if this is true of all Apple stores?

2. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

They usually do have 8-cores in stock. Only the 2.26GHz. Maybe they are sold out.

I got mine at my local Apple store.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

A Mac Pro that has two quad core processors in it is considered an eight core Mac Pro. Unless you meant they didn't carry the high end Mac Pro.

4. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

2 x Quads = Octo

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Two quads:
    2.66 and 2.93
    Having two different computers doesn't equate to an 8 core computer bright ones

6. trancepriest macrumors 6502

trancepriest

7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

ANYWAYS, some interesting comments aside, I would suppose that the Apple store's main customer base are consumers, not people who absolutly require their computers to bleed for them. I'm saying nothing about the quad's performance as a workstation (that's been discussed to death) but the amount of people who buy a Pro are either going to do it online or through a reseller rather then just walk into the Apple store and get it. The average person looking for a new computer may have the cash for a quad pro, but probably not for the higher-end 2.66 & 2.93 octos. Becuase the liklihood of actually selling a single unit in store is so low, I can see why the Apple store would not stock them

8. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Doesn't surprise me. I didn't even bother to check with the local Apple store, I just went online and built mine to order.

The stock in the Apple stores seems minimal at best unless your looking at the lower end products. Or a true consumer device like an iPod or iPhone.

9. steveoc macrumors regular

I bought my eight core 2.26 at an Apple store. I didn't need the uncertainty of shipping times. They had:

• Quad 2.66 3 mb 640gb
    • Octo 2.26 6 mb 640gb
    • Quad 2.96 6 mb 1 Tb + video upgrade ATI 4870

In stock.

10. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

fixed that for you ;)

11. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Actually, they don't upgrade the NVidia GeForce GT 120 to ATI 4870.

They can only upgrade as much RAM as you want but not the graphic card.

12. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

They should give you a get discount for that low amount of RAM. :)

Although I think it'll be hard to run leopard with that setup. :)

13. HotPink thread starter macrumors newbie

Just to clarify, the 10 stores around me just carry the QUAD 2.66 and the QUAD 2.93. NO 8-CORES AT ALL.

Second, Pika and Steveoc, may I ask where the Apple Stores around you are located? (Maybe by some chance they are within a reasonable distance...)

14. steveoc macrumors regular

I guess that reveals my age. Those would be gb not mb.

That aside, perhaps the store could get it for you.

I bought mine at the Albany, NY Crossgates store.

15. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

Around me there's 2 apple stores.

Montreal St-Catherine street & Carrefour Laval

16. HotPink thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, but unfortunately they're a bit far... I'm in the VA-DC-MD area...:(

17. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

Can I ask why you would not want to order online? It would seem much simpler and they would ship it out for free.

18. HotPink thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I want to buy several (like 4 if they had them) stock machines (the 8-core 2.66's), and was hoping they would have them in stock so I could start setting them up over the weekend. Oh well. I'll just have to order them... and wait at least a week.

What's the point of having a retail store if your products aren't available??? I can understand the BTO options... but the baseline machine?? Plus, we're in a large market (nation's capital); I can understand a two-horse town Apple store not having the machines, but here? Please.

And I don't buy the price argument. Go to Saks and you'll find dresses for $10,000.00 if you want. The demand is here, why Apple is catering to the kiddie crowd only is a mystery.

19. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I think it's more because you are looking to join the pro market. Apple stores really aren't/weren't built for that. The Apple store is a great place for consumer electronics but not for Pro machine's.

We have two Apple store's here (very oil rich state) you can find any flavor of iPod, iPhone, MacBook, or iMac. But really the Pro's are almost none existent. Once you have an account with them ordering online is easy, and unless you're order something that is not in stock (RAID card for example) your order ships quickly. I always call in my order so I make sure that everything is right, and find out what is or is not in stock.

20. rreta04 macrumors newbie

If you are going to buy that many mac pros, be ready to hear a speech about joining their business program. I was pressured to filling out some online form to create a business relationship with apple when I bought my Mac Pro. I politely declined about 3 times.

They also had the 8 core version there as well, this being the Dallas store.

21. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

They have all models available where I live too. And the servers too. No forms to fill out tho. :)

22. HotPink thread starter macrumors newbie

So update: Went to the largest Apple store around here, and they DO have an eight core--the sales guy just didn't realize two x quad = eight. They have the stock 2.26 only. But not on display, just in stock.

Glad to see they do have one 8-core though.

23. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

I think someone needs some corporate re-education.

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

glad you found one. did you buy 4?

25. HotPink thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope--they only had the 2.26 and I need the 8-core 2.66's... so it's online again... although a couple notes: the normal sales people don't know the Mac Pro line--they first didn't understand that 2 x quad = 8-core, and second, they thought the 2.66 was only a single quad (since the dual quad 2.66 isn't available in the store) so Apple really needs to do a refresher for the basic sales staff.