Apple Stores fit memory ?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blackscooby, Apr 19, 2007.

1. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

I'm looking at buying a Mac Mini to replace my MacBook and also turn it into a Media Server. However if I got into the store I guess they're all 512Mb. I want 1Gb, do stores sell with additional memory fitted ?

Or do I have to order on-line and wait ?

Ta muchly

Mark

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Yup- they sell those at the store. My friend got his with 1GB of RAM from the UW Apple store in Seattle. They basically have the base model, and the upgraded CPU/ with more RAM model for sale.

3. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Just out of curiousity, but why are you going to replace your MacBook with a Mini? Or are you still keeping the MacBook and just using the Mini for your media needs?

4. blargh-man macrumors newbie

It could be cheaper to buy another 512Mb of RAM from another supplier (eg Crucial) and fit it yourself [do new Mac Minis have 2 RAM slots?].

It is fairly daunting opening a mini but it's definitely possible to do without any experience and you could save yourself some money as Apple charge quite a lot for RAM upgrades

5. blackscooby thread starter macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Sold the MacBook in advance of it's Apple Care running out. Bought in June last year. Will buy a new one once Leopard et al come out.. be that Oct, Dec or whenever, but this time a MacBook Pro.

The Mac Mini is in addition to a MacBook and part of my TV Media Centre, and will connect to a NAS disk that sits off my router to steam movies, saved TV programmes, music etc.

Cheers

Mark

6. blackscooby thread starter macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Looking at upgrade costs. Apple website quotes an extra £50 ($100) to fit 1Gb instead of 512Mb. A 1Gb kit from Crucial is £37.59 ($75). Unless Apple charge to fit it as well I'll get it fitted by them.

I've read the MacFixit guides on how to upgrade the memory. Doesn't sound too bad to do, but still if it's only another $25 on top of a Crucial purchase then I'd rather they did it !!!

7. jklps macrumors regular

Many US stores will do the upgrade, but the problem is that you have already bought the current 512mb of RAM..the mini has two slots, I believe it comes with 2x256..which means you'll have to replace both of them to get to 1gb...and if done in store, they will give you the originals which are then basically worthless...so i recommend ordering through Apple.com personally.

8. robPOD macrumors 6502

If you want to get overcharged for ram then go to apple.com. I personally reccomend newegg.com (way cheaper)

9. blackscooby thread starter macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Good point.... darn !

10. blackscooby thread starter macrumors 6502

blackscooby

Mac Mini 1.83 purchased. 80Gb with 1Gb RAM installed. Sold as 1GB by Apple as to be honest it was only another 50 pounds over the 512Mb model which is the same as the Web site.

Bargain....

Don't have to drive to town to purchase new memory (another 15 quid on fuel), nor do I need to prise the thing open !

Perfect in every way :apple: