Apple Stores Hinting at Refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KieranDotW, Jun 8, 2012.

1. KieranDotW macrumors 6502a

Just a story I heard today that I thought you might want to hear.

A friend of mine recently purchased a 13" Macbook Pro from the Apple Store, and I made a point of saying that I was interested in buying one when the latest ones came out, most likely next week. Curiously enough, my friend noted that the folks working at the Apple Store actually pointed out right to her that new MBP's were imminent, and began listing off new features to be included in the latest MBP! :eek:

All my friend could remember was that the new MBP's would be thinner, but I'm sure there was more. Of course, the news itself isn't groundbreaking (besides the fact that the Apple Store employee was presumably talking about the 13", which was previously believed not to be slimmed down -- we'll have to see) but personally I found it surprising and rather un-Apple-like to be so outright about their upcoming releases.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Apple Store people have no idea about the new release.
    Only the top people in designing the MBP knows the true specs, design, and release date.

Either the guy at the store is making assumptions, or bluffing.

3. jbzcar macrumors regular

Anything anyone from an Apple Store says they know probably came from this website. ;)

4. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

As a former Apple employee, I can corroborate this statement.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Most Apple Store employees learn more about what Apple is doing from news and rumor sites than from Apple themselves.

7. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Apple employees, any retail employee actually, is usually more interested in selling you what's available now rather than detailing new releases under the assumption that "you might" come back and buy later.

8. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

wrong.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Even though I agree Apple store sales folks do not push for sales, etc., I think it's best to say why you think someone else is wrong.

What makes you right? ;)

10. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i was an intern at a Apple store, i was told, to tell people to wait a few weeks before buying a new product, because an update was near.

at the place i worked at, they'd rather want happy costumers who got the latest product, rather than a disappointed costumer, where they got their cash by not caring.

after all, if they're happy that you gave them a tip to wait, they will most likely come back for more stuff in the future.

11. jcpb macrumors 6502a

They are Best Buy employees, not Apple's.

12. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Perhaps I miss your point. The OP was referring to Apple employees. I own various Apple stuff and have purchased some at an Apple store on the eve of a refresh/update. Upon inquiring about said refresh/update the employee would neither confirm nor deny any knowledge of upcoming changes prior to my purchase.

To Apples credit they did replace my iMac purchased five days before a refresh and within the fourteen day return window with the newer model.

13. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Wrong? I believe my only error was in making a sweeping generalization regarding retail employees. There are exceptions to just about any situation. I would submit that you are in the minority in this regard. I can only speak to my own experiences regarding Apple employees and my inquiries regarding upcoming changes when making a purchase. I was in the Apple store yesterday with my mom who wants an iMac for her upcoming birthday. We were at the display for over fifteen minutes while I showed her various aspects of the machine. We were offered assistance twice but no one volunteered info regarding the WWDC on Monday and the forthcoming changes.

In fact, I agree with you that it is good business sense to advise a potential customer if there is a refresh/update/sale just around the corner. Just saying, it hasn't happened to me at our local Apple store.

14. ivanpk macrumors regular

These apple employees are not briefed ab

----------

These apple employees are not briefed about these new products coming out until the day of release so they know nothing for certain just like you and me. They are not going to tell a customer something is about to come out Monday and then what happens when Monday comes around and they actually didn't announce new iMacs? The customer could come back and say "hey, you told me there were going to be new ones".

It's not the fault of the employees if the consumer did not take the time to do a little research before spending upwards of $1000 on electronics.

15. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

This former intern somewhat invalidates your theory. Or perhaps you are a current Apple employee and the policy has changed during your tenure. As far as research I gain most of my insight from this very site. It was based on info from MR, 9to5 Mac, etc. that I inquired about pending changes prior to spending upwards of $1000 on electronics.

I think jbzcar, PVisitors, and MovieCutter are correct in their assertions. At the end of the day it's all speculation and we'll all find out what the deal is on Monday.