Apple stores hiring...could this mean something?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by actorkid, May 5, 2009.

1. actorkid macrumors 6502

So about three months ago, I applied online to the apple stores in my area...There were no jobs at the time, but I wanted to apply anyways. I figured my application had just been thrown away, but today I was contacted by the stores near me saying they need to hire more people.

I know this is probably ridiculous and pretty farfetched, but could they be hiring more employees so that the release of new devices around WWDC goes smoothly? Perhaps they need more people on the floor to help the masses purchase their new iSomething.

just a thought...considering a month ago the apple stores near me were cutting peoples hours and wouldn't even look at new applications (one of my friends works at an apple store)

2. MikhailT macrumors 601

doesn't really mean anything. hirings are always going throughout the year, recession or layoffs won't stop it.

3. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

would all 3 apple stores in a 20 mile radius be suddenly hiring at the same exact time?

4. MikhailT macrumors 601

not really unusual.

companies usually do this if they decide that after a budget meeting that they can hire certain number of people, it usually set in motion in massive hirings at multiple locations in same area as budgets tend to be for regional.

5. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You're kidding, right? Are you suggesting that the hiring practices of 3 Apple Stores is indicative of an imminent product release? Look, if you wanted hard evidence you should go to AT&T and ask the employees at the kiosks if they're allowed to take holidays in June. If they're not, then you might have something to go on.

6. iPhoneFreak17 macrumors member

iPhoneFreak17

i applied at 2 apple stores in my area a month ago and NO calls so far...hopefully they call me now!!!im waitingggg.....

7. John T macrumors 68020

John T

I'm sorry, I don't wish to offend, but why ask a stupid question like this? If you must know the answer, surely, the obvious people to answer is them. What makes you think that we would know? :confused:

8. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

Ummm it's called a rumor site? And I wasn't completely serious honestly...sort of a hopeful joke? And is it really a stupid question? Even stupider than the 45 "IS THIS THE NEXT IPHONE!??!?!?!?" or "WHEN IS THE EXACT DATE THE PHONE IS COMING OUT?!" threads that open up each day. Clearly you know the answer to those questions...and the answer to EVERY question on this rumorwebsite, or else every single post you write here would end with "what makes you think that we would know?"

...jerk

9. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I would want to be no where near that place when a new iphone comes out.

10. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

It is not terribly surprising. Keep in mind that retail stores may not run on a calendar fiscal year, and budgets may be changing.

Also, if you applied online you probably were run through a ranking system by the application program. When I worked for Borders as a manager, we received applications pre-ranked by our online application. Green meant good to go on interviewing and hiring, yellow meant interview but could have some problems, and red meant do not hire. We could hire yellows and greens but had no flexibility on reds. We also shared applications between stores in our area. If we did not take action on an application within a set time frame (1-2 months) it went to the larger pool for other stores to review as well.

It is entirely possible that the Apple Stores were given clearance to hire 1-2 more sellers at each store, independent of any major releases. And if you ranked highly in the "isn't a serial killer or shoplifter" portion of the online application then your application, even a month or two old, would still be floating in the system for them to review. So all you can reasonably take away from this is that whatever psychological profiling tool the online application used has deemed you to be a reasonably decent human being and capable of performing a basic retail job. Congratulations. :D

11. kage207 macrumors 6502a

There's opening at one of the 2 stores near me now. Looks like I'm gonna stop by after class to talk to a manager. :D

12. FearNo1 macrumors 6502a

News flash: mcdonalds is hiring so obviously a new burger is coming out!!11!! :eek: Who cares?? :rolleyes: When it comes out it will be out, please lets stop these annoying rumor threads...

13. actorkid thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL

if we stopped the rumor threads, I think arn would be very unhappy

THIS IS A RUMOR WEBSITE

My post was hardly serious...just stating something

...get over yourself

14. John T macrumors 68020

John T

Excellent! :D A+++

15. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I bet it does mean something, most likely that they are short on help and need some new employees.

16. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I really doubt this means anything significant.

17. mrrish macrumors regular

mrrish

It's pretty common since every year they've been doing releases from June-November... they're building up the staff for that... I was one of the summer hirees..

18. MWillis561 macrumors member

MWillis561

So since were posting things that are rumors. My apple store "Montgomery Mall in Maryland" is closed until the 9th of May. I'm wondering if their undergoing renovations to prepare for any new devices. From the looks of it, it wasn't that outdated.

19. war eagle macrumors 6502a

I wish Apple would call me back. Maybe once I get some certifications they will

20. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I stopped by and they said they are hiring for the back to school special since that's when they do get busy, which is what I first thought. And they will be hiring next week. And so it looks like I'm gonna stop in more often to talk to the managers.