Apple Stores in Beijing Reopening Tomorrow With Limited Hours, Other Chinese Stores Remain Closed

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated its website to indicate that all five of its retail stores in the Beijing area will be reopening February 14 with limited hours of 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. local time until further notice, as noted by Reuters.

Apple has yet to announce reopening dates for its other stores in mainland China, which remain listed as closed through at least February 19 on its website due to the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak. Apple began working toward re-opening its corporate offices and contact centers in the country earlier this week.

The coronavirus outbreak has also impacted Apple's suppliers, including its largest manufacturing partner Foxconn, which is reportedly in the process of resuming operations at its factories across China.

There remains a lot of uncertainty regarding the coronavirus outbreak, which has resulted in extended shipping estimates for some Apple products and could impact the company's overall sales. Apple operates over 40 stores in China, which represents less than 10 percent of its retail locations worldwide.

Apple recently provided its retail stores, authorized service providers, and carrier partners with an enhanced cleaning guide that recommends that demo Apple products be cleaned at least twice per day. The document, shared with MacRumors, contains best practices for using microfiber cloths as well as hand washing tips for employees.

Article Link: Apple Stores in Beijing Reopening Tomorrow With Limited Hours, Other Chinese Stores Remain Closed

Banglazed

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Considering this virus can live in the air and surfaces, I would be wary to ever use any demo devices in these stores.
Like any type of flu virus, it’s only transmitted via air droplets from either coughing or sneezing and normally doesn’t survive outside the body for more than a few hours. You won’t get sick if you received a package from China in Dec. However, it’s still important to maintain good hygiene and disinfect surfaces as a precaution.

repoman016

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2017
Ohio
Like any type of flu virus, it’s only transmitted via air droplets from either coughing or sneezing and normally doesn’t survive outside the body for more than a few hours. You won’t get sick if you received a package from China in Dec.
I've heard it can live up to 3 days on surfaces.

masterhiggins

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2003
Nice of Cook to give them a few hours off a day to perish in the comfort of their own home. But at least their products are green, so now he can sleep at night.

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I've heard it can live up to 3 days on surfaces.
Official source please.
- - Post merged: - -

Considering this virus can live in the air and surfaces, I would be wary to ever use any demo devices in these stores.
Official source or all this is mis/dis-information.

Last edited:

Banglazed

macrumors demi-god
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
New study shows it can live up to 9 days on surface. However, it’s possible some virus and bacteria can live up to a month on surface.

If true it is sounding more and more like an engineered virus-bacteria hybrid. These things don’t exist in nature that we know off since mankind has been on this earth. Oddly enough I have not heard of any children being infected or sadly death. Most cases are elderly and those with compromised immune systems. Maybe this is some biological weapon created by another entity and released in China or something self created as a false-flag attack.

If people think oh no but countries would not do this because of business and trade, think again we don’t know the agenda if there is one. Phew conspiracy theory hat off :p

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
There’s no actual proof. But it IS a scientific fact!. 😴
Some scientific facts change depending on where funding is being received 😜

Coronavirus: Feeling cute today, maybe I will infect you later but not between 11 am and 6 pm.
Everyone in an Apple Store will dawn bio-haz suits 😝

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Absolutely unnecessary. We are keeping our offices in China closed for the time being.

But Mr. Cook just loooooves to exploit people and risk their lives.
Do you honestly believe large corporations are just throwing darts blindfolded at a wall for directing they operations. I assure you there are in communication with health officials in China. The risk to re-open with limited hours of operations is low compared to the reward of reassuring the local and global public along with its stakeholder that things are on the positive.

Imagine if all these western and local business close for 21 days or longer, it reflects to the globe that China and the people involved do not have a handle on COVID-19, which in-turn lead to unnecessary panic that will take months if not years to recover the involved parties reputation.

We need more money (c) Cook
You are funny, don't quite your day job and just stick to stand-up comedy every other weekend.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
I'm not sure if these re-openings are because the virus is getting under control or because the damage to the Chinese economy is now considered the greater threat.
You realize China has been buying up gold for year now. I would not be concerned about China's financial position.

Keyword here is "Predict". I can predict the world will end tomorrow, it does not mean anything, without evidence to back-up my claim. Who ever is making these "prediction" headlines to gain media attention and 5 mins of fame is risking they reputation ahem "Bloomberg". ;)

Reactions: rgbrock1

BlueCreek

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2014
If true it is sounding more and more like an engineered virus-bacteria hybrid. These things don’t exist in nature that we know off since mankind has been on this earth. Oddly enough I have not heard of any children being infected or sadly death. Most cases are elderly and those with compromised immune systems. Maybe this is some biological weapon created by another entity and released in China or something self created as a false-flag attack.

If people think oh no but countries would not do this because of business and trade, think again we don’t know the agenda if there is one. Phew conspiracy theory hat off :p
There are many children / babies with the virus. The youngest to be tested positive was a 30 hour old baby.

Kabeyun

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA

I can’t find the tin foil hat emoji for this post.

Reactions: Itada and rgbrock1

Hodar1

macrumors regular
Like any type of flu virus, it’s only transmitted via air droplets from either coughing or sneezing and normally doesn’t survive outside the body for more than a few hours. You won’t get sick if you received a package from China in Dec. However, it’s still important to maintain good hygiene and disinfect surfaces as a precaution.
According to the CDC FAQ, you are off by a bit.

9 Days on a surface, longer if the environment is cool, or humid. This is a virus, not a bacteria - So, consider a cruise ship's or aircraft ventilation system, or fabric seats. Add to this the fact that this is likely a weaponized strain - with a far higher fatality rate than China is letting on. The 36 yr old MD who alerted to world to this, died of this disease. Satellite images show unusally high levels of Sulfur dioxide, indicative that thousands of bodies are being cremated DAILY.

calstanford

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2014
Hong Kong
Do you honestly believe large corporations are just throwing darts blindfolded at a wall for directing they operations. I assure you there are in communication with health officials in China. The risk to re-open with limited hours of operations is low compared to the reward of reassuring the local and global public along with its stakeholder that things are on the positive.
If China’s largest tech company Tencent is staying closed (and they don’t even have customer facing shops!) then yes. I see it as a risk. And I trust Tencent (Revenue 45B USD) 100x more in their judgement than you.