Apple stores REALLY need more Geniuses!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrat93, Jan 14, 2009.

1. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

My iMac has a problem. No USB devices are working AT ALL. And apparently, the bluetooth receiver is connected to the internal USB hub, and the hub is loose on the inside and is not working (according to AppleCare.) This leaves my Mac unusable because I cannot use any keyboard or mouse.

This happened on Monday. I made a genius bar appointment and the earliest they had for my THREE CLOSEST STORES was today. But now I have the flu and can't make the appointment today. (I'm not complaining about being sick, but if Apple had at least one appointment on the day it broke, I would have a working computer today.) Now, the next appointment available is SATURDAY. So now I have a 24" brick in my room until Apple has the time to fix it. I don't understand how sometimes when I walk into the store, the genius bar is completely empty.

Does anybody else have this problem in their area?

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple Stores really need more intelligent Geniuses.

You didn't miss out on anything.

3. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

AppleCare said if I had given them my case number, they would have fixed it on site. I missed out on having a working computer today.

4. Turmoil macrumors regular

You called on Monday, they made you an appointment on Wed - you bailed on the appointment and it's who's fault you have a brick?

sigh.

5. M.a.r.k. macrumors member

well he didn't damage his imac, right...
    so in the end it's actually apples fault...:rolleyes:

6. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

I agree that they are always packed no matter which store and therefore need more staff. I do think that if they added too many more at the bar, it will start to get too crowded.

7. Turmoil macrumors regular

If it had been most computer companies, they would have shipped him a box to send it back in and he would be weeks or months without a computer. How's your local HP store for making appointments? No one in the industry does service as good as Apple.

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Call up AppleCare and have them send you a box? Require onsite service? Either way, you don't have to deal with the Geniuses.

9. heavymetal4god macrumors member

heavymetal4god

Any mac person that has owned macs since 1998 knows more then the Apple Store genius'.

Those guys are a joke. I can tell them whats wrong with my mac's, tell them the steps I have taken. All they do is recreate the problem and write me the repair ticket.

Makes me wish I was 18 faster and worked there.:rolleyes:

10. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

I wonder what kind of certification you need to be a Apple genius? I wouldn't mind working there.

11. heavymetal4god macrumors member

heavymetal4god

A quiet mouth so you don't spill the beans to people about new products in the back rooms.:)

12. dengar169 macrumors member

Question...did you by any chance install the script for the new jailbreak? If so, it is a known problem and is doing something to the extension (IOUSBFamily...or something like that).

I had this same exact problem and was not able to boot up under any modes (verbose, target, etc.) because I am on a third party keyboard.

Anyway, the solution for me was to dig up my originaly keyboard, insert the install discs that came with my iMac, and startup under the DVD. I believe it is holding down the C button on startup. Then all I did was re-install the Extensions folder from the dvd.

It worked but the only thing was I had to reinstall some files (third-party keyboard software, and had to re-input SOME serial numbers for programs).

Hope this helps.

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Um, wired keyboard?

WRONG. They also make the repairs. They need to pass certification tests which you will fail if you don't study.

14. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

The prob is that people don't show up like yourself and don't cancel/change the appointment so screws the system up. They need a confirmation call like the doctors office.

15. heavymetal4god macrumors member

heavymetal4god

I know what else is needed.

16. grimreaper1377 macrumors regular

Seriously? He said his usb ports are broken. How the hell would he use a wired keyboard?

To the OP, the problem is that there aren't enough geniuses AND they don't know too much. Take it to a 3rd party authorized apple retailer. More personal and much better service.

17. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

After sitting in the Apple Store Genius bars more often than not, you don't want to work there unless you want to deal with pure ignorance, from both the customers and employees.

The one I go to is better than most, but many of them are filled with the shear ignorance and arrogance of 19 year olds that think they know it all.

18. edgew8 macrumors regular

edgew8

I am already used to that from the internet:D Frankly, I just want the employee discount and access to parts;)

19. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

It has always been difficult to make an appointment at a NYC area apple store for less than 3 days in advance. However apple appears to 'fit you in' when the computer is actually broken and won't even boot. Happened to me when upgrading to leopard and they squeezed me in within 30 minutes.

20. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Apple is more interested in employing people with customer service skills and charm than people with any real technical knowledge.

21. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Wrong as well. Apple doesn't do major repairs to laptops in most Apple Stores and does send them out to the repair depot. They do most desktop repairs in store however.

Very true.

22. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

"(I'm not complaining about being sick, but if Apple had at least one appointment on the day it broke, I would have a working computer today.) "

23. LinMac macrumors 65816

24. mrat93 thread starter macrumors 65816

mrat93

I had this problem last week, did the same thing you did, and it worked fine. Then I reinstalled the jailbreak fix. When I got the problem again, holding down C on startup wouldn't do anything, I thought the issue was all hardware. AppleCare insisted the internal USB hub and bluetooth receiver were broken. It turns out that my keyboard batteries happened to be dead! I selected "Archive and reinstall" and now it is reinstalling Leopard. Once it is done, will the normal 10.5.6 files be back where they're supposed to be?

25. dengar169 macrumors member

To my knowledge, majority of my extensions were back to normal. With the exception of some. Like I mentioned, I had to reinstall drivers for my Logitech keyboard to work properly. Other then that, everything else seemed fine.

I am mostly on my MB and haven't really USED my iMac since this happened (roughly a week ago). From what I have done with it everything seemed fine.