Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple in February unveiled a new "Tap to Pay on iPhone" feature that will allow compatible iPhones to accept payments via Apple Pay, contactless credit and debit cards, and other digital wallets, with no additional hardware required.

Apple-Tap-to-Pay-iPhone.jpeg

Apple began testing the feature at its Apple Park Visitor Center earlier this month, and now Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has tweeted that the feature will begin rolling out to Apple Stores across the United States starting today, allowing customers to try it out. The feature might not be available at every Apple Store immediately.

Apple said the feature would launch in the U.S. later this year, but the company has yet to share a specific launch timeframe. The feature will allow small businesses and merchants to accept contactless payments through supported iOS apps using an iPhone XS or newer. At checkout, the merchant will simply prompt the customer to hold their own iPhone or Apple Watch, contactless credit or debit card, or other digital wallet near the merchant's iPhone, and the payment will be securely completed using NFC technology.

tap-to-pay-on-iphone-credit-card.jpeg

Currently, merchants that accept contactless payments on an iPhone must rely on additional hardware like the Square Reader, which comes in various models that work wirelessly or connect to an iPhone's Lightning connector or headphone jack.

Article Link: Apple Stores Rolling Out iPhone-to-iPhone Contactless Payments Starting Today

yossi

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
So square devices and similar are now dead? Reminds me of when Google Maps/directions was released free. That basically killed the dedicated GPS device market. Prior to google, map companies were charging $20-$30 a month for their directions app

dominiongamma

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2014
Phoenix. AZ
Five minutes later EU bureaucrats now demanding Apple open this to everyone.

This is a great technology. I see people at garage sales and farmers market using square. This is another good option.
For reals with the EU lol, but I’m hoping this will make the public become more aware that iPhone to iPhone payments are now possible

Reactions: GarethR and SFjohn

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
I'm just excited for this to roll out to the third party payment services, and then later (a year later maybe to avoid all the hungry Eurocrats) open it up to using Apple Pay peer-to-peer without needing a third party app. Just baked into iOS 17 or something.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014

This is a great technology. I see people at garage sales and farmers market using square. This is another good option.

Nah, they’ll demand that Apple get rid of it because it’s “anti-competitive.” Even though Apple makes no money from it and it’s beneficial for consumers.

jarman92

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2014
I'm just excited for this to roll out to the third party payment services, and then later (a year later maybe to avoid all the hungry Eurocrats) open it up to using Apple Pay peer-to-peer without needing a third party app. Just baked into iOS 17 or something.

You can already do Pay P2P.

Reactions: KurtWilde

webkit

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2021
United States
Nah, they’ll demand that Apple get rid of it because it’s “anti-competitive.” Even though Apple makes no money from it and it’s beneficial for consumers.

Apple will make money by this encouraging more iPhone sales/use and easier (and therefore more) potential use of Apple Pay. More sales, more fees... one way or another, Apple makes money on these types of things.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
So square devices and similar are now dead? Reminds me of when Google Maps/directions was released free. That basically killed the dedicated GPS device market. Prior to google, map companies were charging $20-$30 a month for their directions app
I thought I read a while back it would require a third party like Square to enable the payment acceptance to work. I dont think its exactly direct payment but instead uses the NFC service via an app to accept on the phone. It would eliminate external hardware but not necessarily a company like Square who would still be there to process. Maybe I am mistaken?

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I thought I read a while back it would require a third party like Square to enable the payment acceptance to work. I dont think its exactly direct payment but instead uses the NFC service via an app to accept on the phone. It would eliminate external hardware but not necessarily a company like Square who would still be there to process. Maybe I am mistaken?
Correct... you will still need a card processor to handle the actual transfer of funds. This just eliminates the additional hardware.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
Does this work like ApplePay in a store, or like ApplePay in an app. As do you allow payment, then tap the phones, or do you tap the phones, then allow payment (being able to see the exact amount on the phone before confirming)?

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
This should be convenient at stores. Pay for it right there with the salesperson and walk out like you own the place....?

Now the iPhone needs to scan grocery bar codes.
It can read bar codes. Some stores already have apps that you can scan your items, pay on your phone, and walk out.

Does this work like ApplePay in a store, or like ApplePay in an app. As do you allow payment, then tap the phones, or do you tap the phones, then allow payment (being able to see the exact amount on the phone before confirming)?
The store clerk puts in the amount to charge and starts the ability to receive payments. The customer uses any contactless payment they have, including Apple Pay, in the normal way, it does not change anything from the customer's perspective.

mxjcmxjc

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2021

This made me laugh way too hard.

EU Bureaucrats now demanding Apple Pay, Apple Card, iOS and MagSafe all on other handsets.

gomichaelgo

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2016
So if a merchant has an ipad, they can use that as a POS, and don't need the clunky 3rd party things that sometimes don't work. I wonder if Apple will have their own integrated merchant app to use.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
What is better is to send money over too via some service like Paypal. Being open standard is key too, like you can pay someone's paypal with credit card for example

cyanite

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2015
Headline is misleading. This isn’t (necessarily) “iPhone-to-iPhone”. It’s just an iPhone being a contactless card terminal.

Reactions: jimbobb24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.