Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today revamped the BeatsX earphone lineup available from its online and retail stores, eliminating several colors and lowering the price.

The BeatsX Earphones are now available from Apple in black or silver, with all other colors, including space gray, gold, white, and blue, discontinued. Apple has also removed the Black/Red Defiant BeatsX collection.

beatsxheadphonesapple-800x375.jpg

Apple has also dropped the price of the BeatsX Earphones from $149.95 to $119.95, a discount of $30. Apple never offered competitive pricing on the BeatsX, which are often available at a deep discount from retailers like Best Buy.

Right now, for example, Best Buy is selling BeatsX in gray, blue, and black for $90, which is even lower than Apple's current baseline price.

While a price drop could indicate an upcoming refresh of the Beats headphone lineup, prices may have been lowered in an effort to better match the BeatsX pricing available from other big box retailers.

Apple has not tweaked the pricing of other Beats headphones options including the Powerbeats3, the Studio3 Wireless, or the Solo3 wireless.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Apple Streamlines BeatsX Earphone Lineup and Drops Prices

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I purchased two of them when I got my new watch for $99 at best buy. Around 9/21/2018 (or maybe weekend before)

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
They are getting ready for the NBA line up now they are the official headphones is my guess.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Darned, I wanted that Black/Red model, but now I can't decide if I want to get the next version instead.. And what if it doesn't come in that cool color combination? Decisions, decisions....

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Question is what kind of sound improvements can we expect from up coming refresh product ?

Means nothing if they sound exactly like last year‘s models.

I own beats X and gave my own opinion on them being overpriced, you can read my review here if you like to hear my thoughts on them or interested in buying these.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/my-thoughts-on-beats-x.2116619/

I actually said they should’ve been priced at $119 not a penny more from the get go. Mine are still working fine.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
Sold them a while back and bought AirPods. Haven’t looked back. They would only fit with the ear hooks, which makes the package even bigger (doesn’t fit the included case) and the neck band is annoying. I guess for very specific use cases they would be superior to AirPods, like running? Going truly wireless is still just magical.

Reactions: racerhomie

wdh777

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2011
I’m hoping for new high end Apple branded headphones at October event and Apple Music to start streaming lossless quality.

Apple today revamped the BeatsX earphone lineup available from its online and retail stores, eliminating several colors and lowering the price.

The BeatsX Earphones are now available from Apple in black or silver, with all other colors, including space gray, gold, white, and blue, discontinued. Apple has also removed the Black/Red Defiant BeatsX collection.

Apple has also dropped the price of the BeatsX Earphones from $149.95 to $119.95, a discount of $30. Apple never offered competitive pricing on the BeatsX, which are often available at a deep discount from retailers like Best Buy.

Right now, for example, Best Buy is selling BeatsX in gray, blue, and black for $90, which is even lower than Apple's current baseline price.

While a price drop could indicate an upcoming refresh of the Beats headphone lineup, prices may have been lowered in an effort to better match the BeatsX pricing available from other big box retailers.

Apple has not tweaked the pricing of other Beats headphones options including the Powerbeats3, the Studio3 Wireless, or the Solo3 wireless.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Reactions: dotzero123

kyleh22

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2012
Baltimore, MD

Or they are making room for new higher end Apple branded headphones? It's unlikely - but i'm hopeful.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Just bought a pair from Best Buy for $89.99 over the weekend actually.

Not crazy about 'em, thinking of returning them.

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
I have my beats x since they came out. I use them for two things - listening in bed and mowing lawn. Other than that they are too dorky looking with the big springy wires sticking out side.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I like my Beats X, which I got when they came out. Works great. I like the sound, as earbuds go. I put Comply foam ear-bud covers on them, which are very nice. :)

reallynotnick

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Why would Apple discontinue white? Such a weird pick there, I do enjoy my black ones, I just wish the controls were on the right side and I wish they didn't have quite so long of cables.

It's about time they made the price drop official though, as they seem to always be well below retail.

anson42

Contributor
Mar 13, 2014
Oakland, CA
I own beats X and gave my own opinion on them being overpriced, you can read my review here if you like to hear my thoughts on them or interested in buying these.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/my-thoughts-on-beats-x.2116619/

I actually said they should’ve been priced at $119 not a penny more from the get go. Mine are still working fine.

Ditto. I wrote a review in one of the forums as well and they should have been priced at $99 in my writeup :) I still use them daily and got my wife a pair too, but at $90. Well worth that IMO.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
These beat the Airpods IMO solely for the fact that they're attached. It's one piece. Had mine for a year and love them. Not knocking the Airpods at all, just see a market for both.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
Been close to pulling the trigger on these (readily available in the $90s....) or the Bose sports ones. Can't decide.

Hope this means Apple releases an update/replacement before long, as I think I can wait until Xmas.

imola.zhp

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2010
Mud Island (Memphis), TN
Love my gray BeatsX. Traveling, watching Apple TV while better half sleeps (in a different room) or working out, very versatile and easy to use even with different devices (iPhone to ATV or visa versa).

Reactions: haruhiko

mxmgodin

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2014
Toronto, ON
Question is what kind of sound improvements can we expect from up coming refresh product ?

If a refresh is coming, I'd expect it to focus on improvements in areas other than sound. For example, the BeatsX have been using Apple's W1 chip since launch, which has now been improved and is currently at it's W3 iteration (that now support Bluetooth 5.0, along with other improvements in connectivity, speed and battery consumption introduced with the W2).

I'd also love to see them replace the on/off button with an actual switch (it's always a headache to figure out if you've turned them on or not when you're wearing them around your neck.

They could also do some adjustments to the design (shorter cables for less of a "dog ears" look), better battery life, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.