Apple Streetview

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Dekema2, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Dekema2 macrumors 6502a

Dekema2

Hi everyone, I am a Mac owner celebrating 2 years with my 2010 mini and it is fabulous. I just had an idea for apple, what if they sent out hundreds of cars equipped with HD video recording streetcars around the country? They could hire more staff helping the economy and create jobs, and still kick Google and bing's butts. And at the same time create a cool maps platform that would draw many to the iPhone. I'm just thinking right now...

2. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's not as easy as it sounds.

It would take a very long time to plan and carry that out.

Google hasn't just done it in the US, it's done it all over the world - even Antarctica!

I don't see how catching up to something that Google and Bing have had for years can really be seen as "kicking their butts".

Talking of Bing, it's worth noting that they've been collecting images for their "Streetside" service (i.e. Street View) and they've not been able to get anywhere near as much coverage as Google has after several years.

3. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

Streetview in Antarctica? Which street?

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Drop a pin and try it!

5. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

It's not really a street view, but impressive. :)

6. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

I think the only way for Apple to get ahead here - is to better the 3D Maps this fall. So far, it looks like Apple's beta version of maps is better than Googles 3D attempt.

Leave street view to Google - it has done this very well with extensive coverage. :cool:

7. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030

iBreatheApple

Just curious, why do you think so?

8. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Because it is. ;)

9. iBreatheApple macrumors 68030

iBreatheApple

-1 ;)

10. Sh4wN macrumors regular

This. Cleaner, faster, sharper. And more cities, even in the beta version.

11. iPhoneApple macrumors 6502

If Apple wants to make a street view they probably could find a way to sell car cameras to their supporters. :apple:

12. Tander macrumors 6502a

Tander

As others say - because it is. There is a thread here showing the difference between the two - Apple is the clear winner there. Pictures are cleaner, shaper and more detail.

13. tigertazz macrumors 6502

tigertazz

Tell you what it would take a better brain than mine to make it work but what about crud sourced street view......?

14. Zcott macrumors 68020

There would be no quality.

15. MadGoat macrumors 65816

MadGoat

Tom Tom is already out there with their trucks.. Since Apple and Tom Tom are partnered, I am sure we'll get streetview.

16. LydiaThornell macrumors newbie

17. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Just a thought, instead of Street View, live images from all CCTV cameras. ;)

18. BRussell macrumors member

I love street view, but I wonder if Apple sees Flyover as a replacement for it.

First, street views are kinda creepy. Those millions of people who appear in those pictures, and whose private properties appear, did not give their permission to have their pictures taken and put on the internet. People seem to have accepted it (with some exceptions), but it's still creepy.

As everyone has noticed, Flyover removes most transitory objects like people and moving cars - I imagine through an automated process of rendering stationary objects into 3D rather than manual removal due to privacy concerns. But still: Much less creepy.

In addition, street view has a more clunky interface than Flyover. Basically you're just tapping through consecutive photos in street view (is it still like this in Android?), whereas in Flyover you can pinch and zoom and pan around much more smoothly. Street view feels much more like a separate mode that you have to get into and out of, whereas flyover feels like just a more detailed map view.

Of course Flyover doesn't get down as far and provide nearly the kind of detail as street view, and so I imagine that Apple will eventually do street view too. But I sorta hope they find ways to make flyover a better replacement for street view instead of just doing it the same way google has.

19. Spooner83 macrumors 6502

Spooner83

I thought iOS6 was suppose to have turn by turn voice while using a street view? Guess not

20. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

It can do voice turn by turn with 4S... but with Vector map data, not photo imagery.