Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Hi everyone, I am a Mac owner celebrating 2 years with my 2010 mini and it is fabulous. I just had an idea for apple, what if they sent out hundreds of cars equipped with HD video recording streetcars around the country? They could hire more staff helping the economy and create jobs, and still kick Google and bing's butts. And at the same time create a cool maps platform that would draw many to the iPhone. I'm just thinking right now...

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Hi everyone, I am a Mac owner celebrating 2 years with my 2010 mini and it is fabulous. I just had an idea for apple, what if they sent out hundreds of cars equipped with HD video recording streetcars around the country? They could hire more staff helping the economy and create jobs, and still kick Google and bing's butts. And at the same time create a cool maps platform that would draw many to the iPhone. I'm just thinking right now...

It's not as easy as it sounds.

It would take a very long time to plan and carry that out.

Google hasn't just done it in the US, it's done it all over the world - even Antarctica!

I don't see how catching up to something that Google and Bing have had for years can really be seen as "kicking their butts".

Talking of Bing, it's worth noting that they've been collecting images for their "Streetside" service (i.e. Street View) and they've not been able to get anywhere near as much coverage as Google has after several years.

Hexiii

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Republic
It's not as easy as it sounds.

It would take a very long time to plan and carry that out.

Google hasn't just done it in the US, it's done it all over the world - even Antarctica!

I don't see how catching up to something that Google and Bing have had for years can really be seen as "kicking their butts".

Talking of Bing, it's worth noting that they've been collecting images for their "Streetside" service (i.e. Street View) and they've not been able to get anywhere near as much coverage as Google has after several years.

Streetview in Antarctica? Which street?

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
I think the only way for Apple to get ahead here - is to better the 3D Maps this fall. So far, it looks like Apple's beta version of maps is better than Googles 3D attempt.

Leave street view to Google - it has done this very well with extensive coverage. :cool:

iPhoneApple

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2011
If Apple wants to make a street view they probably could find a way to sell car cameras to their supporters. :apple:

tigertazz

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Tell you what it would take a better brain than mine to make it work but what about crud sourced street view......?

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Tom Tom is already out there with their trucks.. Since Apple and Tom Tom are partnered, I am sure we'll get streetview.

BRussell

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2002
I love street view, but I wonder if Apple sees Flyover as a replacement for it.

First, street views are kinda creepy. Those millions of people who appear in those pictures, and whose private properties appear, did not give their permission to have their pictures taken and put on the internet. People seem to have accepted it (with some exceptions), but it's still creepy.

As everyone has noticed, Flyover removes most transitory objects like people and moving cars - I imagine through an automated process of rendering stationary objects into 3D rather than manual removal due to privacy concerns. But still: Much less creepy.

In addition, street view has a more clunky interface than Flyover. Basically you're just tapping through consecutive photos in street view (is it still like this in Android?), whereas in Flyover you can pinch and zoom and pan around much more smoothly. Street view feels much more like a separate mode that you have to get into and out of, whereas flyover feels like just a more detailed map view.

Of course Flyover doesn't get down as far and provide nearly the kind of detail as street view, and so I imagine that Apple will eventually do street view too. But I sorta hope they find ways to make flyover a better replacement for street view instead of just doing it the same way google has.

Spooner83

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2011
I thought iOS6 was suppose to have turn by turn voice while using a street view? Guess not

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.