Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fineaddme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
hi all i am looking to buy the highend 15" macbook pro but wanted to know if anyone has had any success in getting the apple student discount matched at any bestbuy

Last edited:

datniceguy

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
hi all i am looking to buy the highend 15" macbook pro but wanted to know if anyone has had any success in getting the apple student discount matched at any bestbuy in the nyc area

I tried doing the same thing at a local Best Buy where I live and they say they don't match student discounts from Apple outright anywhere. :( It sucks because Best Buy's warranty, from what I hear, covers physical damage as long as its within regular use and that's so much better than Apple Care.

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
hi all i am looking to buy the highend 15" macbook pro but wanted to know if anyone has had any success in getting the apple student discount matched at any bestbuy in the nyc area

The bestbuy on broadway and houston, the noho location will do it just print out the page with the model you want from the education store and bring it in.

fineaddme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
The bestbuy on broadway and houston, the noho location will do it just print out the page with the model you want from the education store and bring it in.

thx 4 reply. will they match the $200 on the high end 15" mbp or just $100?

i went to one bestbuy in queens and i was told only $100 and maybe $200 if i bought bestbuy insurance

did you speak to someone random or do you know someone there?

Pballer110

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2010
thx 4 reply. will they match the $200 on the high end mbp or just $100?

i went to one bestbuy in queens and i was told only $100 and maybe $200 if i bought bestbuy insurance

did you speak to someone random or do you know someone there?

AFAIK they match the exact price. When i went in to purchase a 13 MBP they gave me the $100 after calling a manager and asking for approval. The only reason i went to bestbuy was for the rewardzone points and i told the manager that since im a silver member.

fineaddme

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 4, 2010
AFAIK they match the exact price. When i went in to purchase a 13 MBP they gave me the $100 after calling a manager and asking for approval. The only reason i went to bestbuy was for the rewardzone points and i told the manager that since im a silver member.

i hope they match the $200. i am also a silver member and i also want the points lol
thx again and i will give it a shot tomorrow.

fr4c

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2007
Hamster wheel
They should be able to match Apple's EDU pricing, but walk right out if they require you to purchase extended warranty through them (Blacktie, etc.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.