Apple Student Discount - Instore

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stuart.cam, Sep 24, 2008.

1. stuart.cam macrumors newbie

I'm buying a new imac on Sunday and was just wondering if you can get the educational discount if you are under 18 and at high school?

Thanks

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In the US, NO. Only staff members of K-12, Home Schoolers, and College Students/Faculty/Staff get the discount.

TEG

3. mbleopard macrumors regular

Not positive, but from what I hear you have to be in college or a teacher, but then again I could be wrong

If you live by an Apple store just go in and ask, make sure you bring a school ID if you have one

4. stuart.cam thread starter macrumors newbie

I just phoned up, and you need to be over 18 in the uk :(

One more thing is when you buy a mac do they register it in the shop because i was thinking i could get a friend to by it for me!
    Thanks

5. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes they will register it - but won't be a problem if it is a "gift" for you (or whatever). Just remember that if this is a student buying it then they are only allowed one laptop and one desktop per academic year.

6. JamieS macrumors newbie

If your friend is a university student make sure they specifically ask for the HE Institution price as it's a significant difference from the standard education discount (£702.65 vs £750.83 for the base model) and don't forget the £95 ipod rebate offer!

7. stuart.cam thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!
    Went in to the apple store today.
    And got a 24" iMac 3.06ghz with educational discount :) Saved £196 and also got a free nano.
    They didn't ask for any student card or anything, just had to type a few details into a mac.