Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidbk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2003
Washington, DC
This may be really obvious, but Im a Sophmore in high school, and am looking forward to owning my first Apple computer (a 12" powerbook), but I cannot find the student discounts, if they exist. Please help, as I am short on cash, and hope to buy Panther when it is released as well as some other accesories. Thx

davidbk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2003
Washington, DC
thx, but when I checked the site, this is what it said:
" Who is Eligible To Purchase
The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

Employee of public or private K-12 institutions in the United States
School Board members who are currently serving as elected or appointed members
PTA or PTO executives currently serving as elected or appointed officers
Qualified homeschools
Employee of a public or private, profit or non-profit preschool "

does this mean no student discounts?

Yellowtooth

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2003
Los Angeles
student developer

I'd suggest going by way of the Student Developer Hardware Discount Program. It's a $99 fee, but you end up saving so much more if you make a one time purchase. I bought my 12" PB 2 months ago, and got it completely loaded with 640 RAM, 60 GB HD, Airport Extreme installed, tax, shipping and everything for $1650 out the door. And if you want to get an ipod or other piece of hardware, you get huge discounts on those too (everything just has to be all together as a one time purchase on the same receipt). Plus, you get a free copy of Jaguar and developer tools every month. It's a great deal, esp. if you want to give developing a shot.....

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
david you are correct high school students are not eligible for discounts unless the are devlopers or accepted to a university.

edit: please don't scam an honest program ....the adc discount is intended for those developing or with an intention to develop....

Yellowtooth

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2003
Los Angeles
edit: please don't scam an honest program ....the adc discount is intended for those developing or with an intention to develop....

I hope that this isn't meant to imply I encouraged scamming Apple in any way.... I may not be a "demi-god" here, but I have been faithful to Apple for over a decade and I would never want to "scam" them by using a program they have listed on their site specifically for student use.

The program is great for students to become involved with Apple on the development side (for that purpose, which I mentioned in my previous post) and to be able to get discounts on hardware since they are, ahem, students....

The program is in no way a scam if you are legitimately a student and intend to at least look into developing.

There, the non-demi-god has spoken......

davidbk1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2003
Washington, DC
This is starting to sound like Im a newbie, but regardless, where do I sign up for the student developer hardware discount? Oh, and thanks to all for their help.

Yellowtooth

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2003
Los Angeles
Go to the Apple site, click on the Developer link, and then scroll about 3/4 of the way down and click on Hardware Purchase Program. There's a ton of info about it and you should probably read up to see about the Student Developer Program. Good luck, and enjoy your 12" PB. Mine was the greatest purchase I've ever made.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by Yellowtooth
I hope that this isn't meant to imply I encouraged scamming Apple in any way.... I may not be a "demi-god" here, but I have been faithful to Apple for over a decade and I would never want to "scam" them by using a program they have listed on their site specifically for student use.

The program is great for students to become involved with Apple on the development side (for that purpose, which I mentioned in my previous post) and to be able to get discounts on hardware since they are, ahem, students....

The program is in no way a scam if you are legitimately a student and intend to at least look into developing.

There, the non-demi-god has spoken......

i'm not accusing you of anything sir. I'm trying to say that its a great program for those intersted but at the same time there are quite a few people who take advantage of it because of the discounts. Its a program i think its quite effective and i'm glad they offer something like that but in the future if too many people were magically student developers they might consider dropping the program....so that future generations of real developers liek you describe yourself may participate...that is my primary concern. Unforutunately for many of us this is america....so many people are looking to take advantage however possible ...maybe not you or david but maybe 10 other people who read the thread....

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: apple student discounts

Originally posted by davidbk1
This may be really obvious, but Im a Sophmore in high school, and am looking forward to owning my first Apple computer (a 12" powerbook), but I cannot find the student discounts, if they exist. Please help, as I am short on cash, and hope to buy Panther when it is released as well as some other accesories. Thx

only teachers, some homeschoolers, college students, and pta officers can apply for the edu. discount

primalman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2002
at the end of the hall
Re: Re: apple student discounts

Originally posted by tazo
only teachers, some homeschoolers, college students, and pta officers can apply for the edu. discount

..and faculty, staff, grad students, community college students and administrators.

Basically, anyone who works for in any capacity for an accredited public or private educational institution, or a person who attends an accredited public or private higher-education institution

tazo

macrumors 68040
Re: Re: Re: apple student discounts

Originally posted by primalman
..and faculty, staff, grad students, community college students and administrators.

Basically, anyone who works for in any capacity for an accredited public or private educational institution, or a person who attends an accredited public or private higher-education institution

u left out full time homeschoolers or parents of them

gello2424

macrumors member
May 25, 2003
CA
academicsuperstore.com is a great place to buy software. They are one of my resellers and I still buy stuff from them.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Another option would be to get a refurbished Mac from Apple (go to the Apple store and near the botton left there's a big red tag sorta thingie). The prices for the refurbished are usually right on the academic pricing. So you can get academic pricing that way... granted it's a refurb but it's from Apple so I'd be willing to go that route... you can still get AppleCare if you want too...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.