Apple Studio Display 23", still a good display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mammoth, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

There's one listed locally for $225 with a Powermac G4 (933Mhz, 1.25GB RAM, 3x60GB HD) and I'm tempted to get the pair, if only for the display. Does it still compete with current LCDs?

2. dellar macrumors newbie

dellar

23" Acd

If you're talking about the aluminium 23" ACD, it's great. I'm using one with a 2.53Ghz mac mini and couldn't be happier (match made in heaven). I would avoid the earlier translucent model as they're too old now. The problem with the aluminium 23" is some of them have a pink tinge problem - might want to ask the seller if his does first.

I like the screen compared to the new ones as its HD resolution without glare!

Check mine out here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN4VvyorLKw&fmt=18

Great display

3. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

In my opinion it's way better than Apples current 24" glassy mirror crap.

After 2,5 years with a mirror iMac, I know that I won't buy a glossy display again.

4. Mammoth thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Nope it's one of the translucent tripod ones. I'm wondering now if a Powermac G4 is useful these days.

5. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

I'd gladly take a quicksilver or MDD G4 to use as a server. I just cant be bothered to spend $200 or so on one.

Both the monitor and powermac are dated, but if they both still work then it sounds like a great deal to me.

6. HerbyGunther macrumors member

YES, it is a very good display. I use on everyday for design work and it's perfect. I also like the pixel ratio of the 23", imo it is the ideal pixel ratio. The pixels @ 24" is slightly too big imo.

7. HerbyGunther macrumors member

Oh I thought you meant the ACD... I'm actually talking about the Cinema Display (aluminium). I don't have experience with the previous models.

8. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

If it is the studio display, they were fine during their time, but that monitor must be pretty old (6,7+ years?). I would worry about the life expectancy. From what I recall, they are noticeably dimmer than the Aluminum 23". They also require an adapter (ADC) in order to use.