Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Hi, I have the Late 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max. I'm thinking about getting an Apple Studio Display and would like to know if I can daisy chain off of it using a USB-C to DisplayPort 1.2 My second display monitor is an ASUS PB278Q (spec's in link below). Currently I have this display connected to my MacBook Pro M1 Max USB-C to DisplayPort 1.2 which works flawlessly. Any help and/or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks.

ASUS PB278Q

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
You can plug USB devices into it, but not a second display.
Unless you use a DisplayLink adapter which is basically a USB controller display. It's USB controller, not controlled by the Mac's GPU so it won't perform as well.

Reactions: Amethyst1

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Unless you use a DisplayLink adapter which is basically a USB controller display. It's USB controller, not controlled by the Mac's GPU so it won't perform as well.
Thanks.... I sure wouldn't want to take a performance hit. I wonder if anyone has tried using a Thunderbolt hub connected to the M1 Max with a couple Thunderbolt outputs for each monitor? Thanks again.

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
Interesting.... Check out Time Mark 10:35 of the below YouTube video;

joevt

Contributor
Jun 21, 2012
Interesting.... Check out Time Mark 10:35 of the below YouTube video;
For his stereo display/audio output idea, wouldn't Audio Midi Setup allow creating a virtual sound device that can use multiple audio device outputs? Not sure how that works with USB audio devices...

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
For his stereo display/audio output idea, wouldn't Audio Midi Setup allow creating a virtual sound device that can use multiple audio device outputs? Not sure how that works with USB audio devices...
That's a great question.... I don't know the answer to this but, I don't see why not. Hopefully someone will chime in that
may have a Midi setup.

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
The following video appears to be a solution for both Mac & Windows user's wanting to run dual displays. This looks like a great hub for Apple Studio Displays and/or other displays that have limited ins/outs. It's a CalDigit Thunderbolt 4 Hub which hosts other different ports as well as different configurations. Downside, it's a little pricey at $400.00 but, well worth it I.M.O. over Apples Tilt/Adjustable stand which is currently at the same price....🤔

The entire video is very informative.... Jump to TM 5:00 for dual display connectivity.

The following is an entire Playlist from CalDigit:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLhIVjSB4u_gxPhk7zsg8ZkJfaNXdACE9v

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Thanks.... I sure wouldn't want to take a performance hit. I wonder if anyone has tried using a Thunderbolt hub connected to the M1 Max with a couple Thunderbolt outputs for each monitor? Thanks again.
Yes. This works fine. I have a 14” MBP connected to a TB4 hub, connected to two Studio Displays. Only one cable connected to the MacBook.

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
That's Great! Glad to see that two of those Studio Displays actually work with this hub. To be clear, is your hub the CalDigit TSR 4? Please correct me if I'm wrong, you used all Thunderbol 4 cables? Thanks, I appreciate your feedback! 👍

Last edited:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
That's Great! Glad to see that two of those Studio Displays actually work with this hub. To be clear, is your hub the CalDigit TSR 4? Please correct me if I'm wrong, you used all Thunderbol 4 cables? Thanks, I appreciate your feedback! 👍
OWC Thunderbolt Dock. Apple TB4 cables.

Ray&Paula

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2015
OWC Thunderbolt Dock. Apple TB4 cables.
Thanks.... I was looking at OWC Thunderbolt Docs as an alternative to CalDigit yesterday. OWC has been around forever and their docks aren't quite as pricey as CalDigit. With that being said, I've heard nothing but good things about them especially when it come to quality and support. I know CalDigit had an update regarding their sleep /disconnect issues with their TS4. In order to update, you need a Windows computer with USB-C in order to download it for Mac's..... not good. Supposedly, they're working on that situation. Thanks for your help, appreciate it. 👍

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.