Apple sturggling with demand for Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dajuk, Oct 18, 2007.

1. dajuk macrumors newbie

I received an email this morning inviting me to pre-order Leopard for delivery on 26 October. A few hours later I got a similar email, but this time the message had changed!

Spot the difference :)

Attached Files:

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I think demand for Leopard is massive...Apple just want it to be more massive...

3. zblaxberg Guest

zblaxberg

i don't think that means much they just want to email a buncha people and get the hype up

4. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

They aren't sending out the same email first. One screen says "receive it on the day it's released" vs. "be one of the first to have it". Implying maybe originally they were going to arrive on Oct 26th, but Apple cannot keep up with the demand and cannot ship them all for Oct 26th arrival.

5. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

hope i get mine on the day..though im workin all weekend so i guess i can wait...

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think it's more likely that they have several different versions of the e-mail and just randomly e-mail out various ones of them, and you happened to get two coincidentally different ones.

Who has trouble meeting demand for a software product distributed on a DVD? Seriously?

Also particularly considering that both the store.apple.com website and both of the e-mails still give the same date (10/26).

7. Matek macrumors 6502a

I doubt that they can be struggling with a release of software - making copies of that costs them nearly nothing and they can virtually make as many as they want, even with a short time span. The only problem I can see could be delivery.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes I can see the problem. Apple calls UPS and says "We have 20,000,000 boxes can you send a van over for a pickup on the 25th?"

Yes you can make the DVDs easy enough but every one of those DVD has to be delivered by hand one at a time from some truck or van parked at the curb to someone's house. I'm sure that the walk from the curb to the house is the most labor intensive part of the entire process, all the rest is done by automation., fork lifts, large trucks and the like.