Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
Better late than never, but I think these could and should have been introduced long before some of the others they’ve done.

ginkobiloba

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2007
Paris
While I agree with you, now that we're going down this road, I was happier when Emojis were a non-representational bright yellow. Rather than "emojis for every skin color" we should have stuck with "emojis that aren't any skin color" and things would have been so much simpler. The direction this is headed next is going to be "well, my eye color / hair style / height isn't represented, we must fix that!" They weren't supposed to be portraiture, they were supposed to be indicators of emotions. Sigh.

I've got to agree with you ( and I'm not white ). Emojis were supposed to be abstract and simple, not a detailed depiction of all alive beings and all inanimate things.

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London
It's absolutely true.....

754a1808df2c92d8033efdcb1e43f194.jpg

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Why? What is the practical use of these emojis? As others have said emojis are intended to represent...emotions. How do these do this?

It helps people unfortunate enough to be in these situations communicate and relate to others, especially if they are nonverbal or speaking a different language. What’s the problem with that? It’s not hard for one to imagine using this to tell someone at a foreign hotel that they need accommodation for a full mobile wheelchair or that they cannot hear. But hey, as long as someday someone gets a stupid dark mode I guess the disabled can wait.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
It helps people unfortunate enough to be in these situations communicate and relate to others, especially if they are nonverbal or speaking a different language. What’s the problem with that? It’s not hard for one to imagine using this to tell someone at a foreign hotel that they need accommodation for a full mobile wheelchair or that they cannot hear. But hey, as long as someday someone gets a stupid dark mode I guess the disabled can wait.
What about "I need wheelchair accessible accommodations"? Or "I cannot hear"? You know using...words.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
The same question was asked when Apple created emojis of people of color. The answer is yes.

While likely true, the same could be said in the reverse. Do people with accessibility needs WANT to point out how they are different? FWIW, I've of the opinion that technology should emphasize just how alike we are... not point out all the minor differences. And yes.. I believe skin color, physical characteristics, etc., are MINOR differences. It's our thoughts, beliefs and actions that make us different.

Reactions: hamiltonrwatch

yoz-y

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2013
While I agree with you, now that we're going down this road, I was happier when Emojis were a non-representational bright yellow. Rather than "emojis for every skin color" we should have stuck with "emojis that aren't any skin color" and things would have been so much simpler. The direction this is headed next is going to be "well, my eye color / hair style / height isn't represented, we must fix that!" They weren't supposed to be portraiture, they were supposed to be indicators of emotions. Sigh.

The emoji that have skin colour option were never yellow to begin with. They were all white. Yellow was added later along with the skin tones. Note that the way Unicode is structured a new colour for all of the characters is just one more glyph.

Fair enough,

didnt know it was more requested and prioritized than a dark mode, or theming, or five icons on dock, or battery percentage on status bar on X, or any other number of things like making Siri a stellar assistant after all these years of hyping her up.

the people have spoken! iOS innovation!

In every conversation about the emoji there is always at least one person who thinks (or wants to appear like they think) that Apple is just one person doing everything. There is little chance that those responsible for this proposal could even remotely help with the features you are mentioning. Sigh...

Reactions: Coleman2010

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
Please give us more diverse animal emojis. I have a black cat and there are no multi-colored options for the cat emojis...

Coleman2010

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2010
NYC
While likely true, the same could be said in the reverse. Do people with accessibility needs WANT to point out how they are different? FWIW, I've of the opinion that technology should emphasize just how alike we are... not point out all the minor differences. And yes.. I believe skin color, physical characteristics, etc., are MINOR differences. It's our thoughts, beliefs and actions that make us different.

I agree, people aren't different. But when I want to give a funny or sarcastic response in text I'm not going to respond with a yellow or white skin blonde hair emoji. I use the emoji that represents my skin color. My friends respond it's even funnier because they can picture me making the expression.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
The emoji that have skin colour option were never yellow to begin with. They were all white. Yellow was added later along with the skin tones. Note that the way Unicode is structured a new colour for all of the characters is just one more glyph.
I'm well aware of the way skin tone is encoded in Unicode using Fitzpatrick modifiers. The point remains that, back when Emoji were smiley faces, they were largely non-representational (showing merely "a" face, just enough to convey emotional cues, rather than specifically showing a white face / black face / etc.), and it would have been simpler to have kept them that way, rather than going down the path of trying to make tiny portraits to closely represent real people.

Reactions: Jstuts5797
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.