Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple subsidiary FileMaker today announced it has returned to its original name Claris from the late 1980s.

filemaker-claris.jpg

Claris was spun off as an Apple subsidiary in 1986 while John Sculley was Apple CEO. At the time, it was known for several programs such as MacWrite, MacPaint, MacDraw, and FileMaker, but the company eventually began to focus solely on FileMaker, leading it to be renamed FileMaker in 1998.

Now, the company plans to expand its portfolio again, leading it to readopt the Claris name. FileMaker Pro will remain one of its offerings.

The rename coincides with FileMaker acquiring Italian startup Stamplay and renaming it Claris Connect. The API-based development platform enables users to build workflows that connect cloud services, including Dropbox, Slack, Salesforce, and more. In March, it was reported that Apple had acquired Stamplay.

Article Link: Apple Subsidiary FileMaker Returns to 1980s Name Claris Following Stamplay Acquisition

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
FileMaker Pro allowed me to make an “e-commerce shipping system” back in 1996 that was awesome! I really miss it. I could process 100 orders and have a stack of collated shipping labels, invoices, packing lists, customs declarations, and shipping manifest - all with a few mouse clicks. All in about 45 minutes!!!

Can’t even do that today! No joke. It was better in some ways. It lacked in some accounting, but I never cared. It got my business rocking!

sittnick

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Oh the nostalgia!

Can they push iWork over to them and have Claris remake iWork apps as Claris Works?

...and maybe hypercard too...
and Cyberdog, and "At Ease"!
[doublepost=1565107981][/doublepost]Actually, Claris Mac Draw Pro was a GREAT product. Far more intuitive and productive than Adobe's offerings. Claris' spreadsheet was great, too, but was pretty nasty to release after persuading Lotus to come out with Jazz (horrible product, thanks to Jobs' specs) and 1-2-3 Mac. The XTND translators available to all Clris products worked well, and when I was a college Mac admin, I used MacWrite Pro as a Rosetta Stone universal translator (along with DataViz products) to deal with the oddball software that students needed translated. Sometimes I used MacWrite Pro XTND to go from PC word processor to PC word processor. Different era.

sittnick

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2008
Moving to the road map for FileMaker, I am not big on this "Cloud First" business. I would rather see more features built into the DB itself. A dynamic Rank function would be great!

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Moving to the road map for FileMaker, I am not big on this "Cloud First" business. I would rather see more features built into the DB itself. A dynamic Rank function would be great!

Yep, Cloud everything is the fashionable thing to do today. Sure it has some benefits if you don't know and don't care about your own information. And it's really easy to get locked in where you really have no choice, for example quickbooks. But again that's tomorrows problem.

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
Oh the nostalgia!

Can they push iWork over to them and have Claris remake iWork apps as Claris Works?

...and maybe hypercard too...

No need for Hypercard; Livecode is a superset and has a free version for macOS, Windows, and Linux development.
[doublepost=1565112243][/doublepost]
I was looking for an updated “Claris”, too. Bummer, the new logo is weak.
Agreed; the new owners must be young punks. Claris the dogcow alone would sell product.
[doublepost=1565112343][/doublepost]The best app Claris produced was Claris Organizer. Had it been given the eMail component it so desperately needed it would have been a replacement for Outlook. There was nothing easier to use for calendaring and contacts management.

Reactions: Jedwardoo

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I still have a lot of AppleWorks documents from years past.

I probably don't need any of them any more, but I'm curious: Which applications can open them these days?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.