Apple Subsidiary FileMaker Returns to 1980s Name Claris Following Stamplay Acquisition

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 6, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple subsidiary FileMaker today announced it has returned to its original name Claris from the late 1980s.

[​IMG]

Claris was spun off as an Apple subsidiary in 1986 while John Sculley was Apple CEO. At the time, it was known for several programs such as MacWrite, MacPaint, MacDraw, and FileMaker, but the company eventually began to focus solely on FileMaker, leading it to be renamed FileMaker in 1998.

Now, the company plans to expand its portfolio again, leading it to readopt the Claris name. FileMaker Pro will remain one of its offerings.

The rename coincides with FileMaker acquiring Italian startup Stamplay and renaming it Claris Connect. The API-based development platform enables users to build workflows that connect cloud services, including Dropbox, Slack, Salesforce, and more. In March, it was reported that Apple had acquired Stamplay.

Article Link: Apple Subsidiary FileMaker Returns to 1980s Name Claris Following Stamplay Acquisition

2. AtomicDusk macrumors member

AtomicDusk

Oh the nostalgia!

Can they push iWork over to them and have Claris remake iWork apps as Claris Works?

...and maybe hypercard too...

3. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

I was just hit full on with a wave of nostalgia.

4. mannyvel macrumors regular

5. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Claris Works, the software you used if you couldn’t afford anything better... But yes please to HyperCard!

6. sjinsjca macrumors 68020

sjinsjca

Great ideas both. ClarisWorks was waaaay ahead of its time.

Imagine ClarisWorks integrated with a cloud-enabled mash-up of HyperCard and Workflow.

A boy can dream, can't he?

7. BuddyTronic macrumors 6502a

FileMaker Pro allowed me to make an “e-commerce shipping system” back in 1996 that was awesome! I really miss it. I could process 100 orders and have a stack of collated shipping labels, invoices, packing lists, customs declarations, and shipping manifest - all with a few mouse clicks. All in about 45 minutes!!!

Can’t even do that today! No joke. It was better in some ways. It lacked in some accounting, but I never cared. It got my business rocking!

8. Zoboomafoo macrumors 6502

9. timborama macrumors 6502a

timborama

10. zuckerboy macrumors newbie

zuckerboy

11. sittnick macrumors member

and Cyberdog, and "At Ease"!
    --- Post Merged, Aug 6, 2019 ---
    Actually, Claris Mac Draw Pro was a GREAT product. Far more intuitive and productive than Adobe's offerings. Claris' spreadsheet was great, too, but was pretty nasty to release after persuading Lotus to come out with Jazz (horrible product, thanks to Jobs' specs) and 1-2-3 Mac. The XTND translators available to all Clris products worked well, and when I was a college Mac admin, I used MacWrite Pro as a Rosetta Stone universal translator (along with DataViz products) to deal with the oddball software that students needed translated. Sometimes I used MacWrite Pro XTND to go from PC word processor to PC word processor. Different era.

12. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

Now we just need a flying toaster screensaver.

13. MrGimper macrumors 603

MrGimper

All these posts and no Hannibal Lechter references?

14. Gutwrench Contributor

Gutwrench

15. sjinsjca macrumors 68020

sjinsjca

16. spockwasanaspie macrumors newbie

spockwasanaspie

I was looking for an updated “Claris”, too. Bummer, the new logo is weak.

17. sittnick macrumors member

Moving to the road map for FileMaker, I am not big on this "Cloud First" business. I would rather see more features built into the DB itself. A dynamic Rank function would be great!

18. nt5672 macrumors 68000

Yep, Cloud everything is the fashionable thing to do today. Sure it has some benefits if you don't know and don't care about your own information. And it's really easy to get locked in where you really have no choice, for example quickbooks. But again that's tomorrows problem.

19. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

FileMaker is fantastic. This is great news.

20. ChromeAce macrumors regular

Why a subsidiary? Why not just add it to iWork, which needs it?

21. rumplestiltskin macrumors 6502

No need for Hypercard; Livecode is a superset and has a free version for macOS, Windows, and Linux development.
    Agreed; the new owners must be young punks. Claris the dogcow alone would sell product.
    The best app Claris produced was Claris Organizer. Had it been given the eMail component it so desperately needed it would have been a replacement for Outlook. There was nothing easier to use for calendaring and contacts management.

22. satchmo macrumors 68020

Bring back Bento or some form of database program for iWork.

23. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I still have a lot of AppleWorks documents from years past.

I probably don't need any of them any more, but I'm curious: Which applications can open them these days?

25. lunarworks macrumors 68000

HyperCard was one of the biggest missed opportunities of the '90s. A proper 3.0 release would have been revolutionary.