Apple Subsidiary Filemaker says no-go to Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gopher, Oct 22, 2007.

1. gopher macrumors 65816

http://filemaker.com/support/leopard.html

This really stinks. If Apple can't get their own subsidiaries to stay up to date with their operating system, what chance do third parties? And my website depends on Filemaker 8.5. I've already purchased my retail Leopard, and I'm going to have to decide if it is worth my while to test it, wait and save for Filemaker 9.1, whenever that should be released, or hope someone here has good news for me.

2. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

That is rather surprising that FM will not be Leopard ready on day one! :confused:

3. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Indeed. :mad:

Some people need to get their act together.

4. Matek macrumors 6502a

Well, Apple decided not to release the gold master to the developers before the official release. They are probably aware of the fact that this will also bring some negative effects along.

5. mkwilson68 macrumors member

Let's remember that Apple OWNS Filemaker though... pretty sloppy.

6. jpupelis macrumors newbie

Leopard and Filemaker Not Compatible?

What's going on here. I have been a Mac user for 23 years and have used Filemaker for most of those years. Now I am ready to upgrade to Leopard and Filemaker is not compatible. Hey, Apple!! Don't release Leopard until your other programs are compatible. Apple owns Filemaker. Are they asleep at the wheel. Don't upgrade yet if you are using Filemaker Apple says! Come on Apple get your act together and get Filemaker working this weekend. Put in some overtime and make it happen.

Regards,

Jim - Bensenville IL

7. gopher thread starter macrumors 65816

You'd best call Applecare if you can, as well as Filemaker and put feedback in http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

Posting it here won't get it read any quicker.

8. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

This is utterly disgraceful.

Jobs should fire Goupil for this. (And for the long list of other idiotic things the guy has done. So many missed opportunities...

9. gopher thread starter macrumors 65816

10. larkost macrumors 6502a

This whole tempest in a teacup is all about FileMaker not having yet validated that FileMaker 9 (or any other version for that matter) works perfectly on 10.5. I have seen no reports stating that something actually does not work and actually have reason to believe that it does work well.

They are a database company, and as such are extremely conservative when it comes to the data on their servers. This is them being very conservative.

11. gopher thread starter macrumors 65816

"Tempest in a teapot" suggests it is unimportant.

Well I moved to Filemaker specifically to escape Microsoft Excel, spent a good year discovering how to duplicate functionality I was able to get in Excel within Filemaker, and now they are telling me they can't develop portable enough software for their own parent company's operating system? What lunacy is this?

Of course it is important. Apple gave them 6 extra months and they still flubbed.

12. Bigtree macrumors 6502

I started the same thread 2 days ago and almost got hung!

It doesn't make sense!!

13. gopher thread starter macrumors 65816

14. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

15. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I'm confused why you would use a database application to do spreadsheet functions, or vice versa.

Anyways, I hope they can resolve any incompatibility quickly, and agree that they should be better integrated with the development team for Leopard.

16. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

November 19th for the client: Pathetic, but there appears to be a workaround.

No date for Server Advanced? That is very, very worrisome.

This is beyond sloppy. I hope Apple HQ is kicking the snot out of the FM guys...

17. wjbombo macrumors newbie

wjbombo

Leopard Update Available

Hey guys and gals,

FileMaker has updated their Leopard support page. FileMaker Pro updates for Leopard are available NOW! Here's the link.

I know it seems a bit surprising that they "weren't ready" when Leopard came out last Friday, but like someone already mentioned, :apple: didn't release the final build until the day it shipped and it appears that FileMaker doesn't necessarily get any special privileges.

Peace,
    Will

18. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

You cant win on this forum......