Apple Subsidiary FileMaker Shares New Ad Starring Actors From The Office

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 16, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple Subsidiary FileMaker, which makes a popular database platform, today launched a new ad campaign that brings together former stars of hit television show "The Office."

Kate Flannery (Meredith), Leslie David Baker (Stanley), and Paul Lieberstein (Toby) team up in a three minute spot called "Farm Time." The ad features a news report on a popular beet farm where the trio use FileMaker to run their operation.

FileMaker has had a teaser site in place for the last few weeks leading up to the launch of the ad spot, and that site initially led to some speculation that it a revival of a proposed "The Office" spinoff called "The Farm."

There were also rumors floating around suggesting "Farm Time" could be a three-part commercial for Apple products, but as it turns out, it's simply a promotional spot for FileMaker.

[​IMG]

For those unfamiliar with FileMaker, it's a database platform that's designed to make it easy for businesses to build a range of customized apps that work across iPhone, iPad, Mac, Windows, and the web. The most recent version of FileMaker is FileMaker 16, introduced in March of 2017.

Article Link: Apple Subsidiary FileMaker Shares New Ad Starring Actors From The Office

2. robinp macrumors 6502

3. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

4. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

Would have been so much better if this was Dwight’s beet farm.

5. HowieIsaacks macrumors regular

HowieIsaacks

No they shouldn't. That would be a waste. Have you ever used FileMaker? It's not iMovie or Photos. It's a lot more complicated.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 16, 2018 ---
    The attempt at humor is admirable, but I think FileMaker needs to use Apple's advertising team. Apple's advertising is simpler, and more delcarative about the product. I fast forward through ads on TV or just mute them. I also don't pay attention to ads online. To have any chance of success with me, an ad has to be short, simple, and say what it needs to stay within 10-20 seconds.

6. peter2 macrumors regular

Who is playing the reporter? She is so cute! :)

7. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I think it's implied buy I doubt Apple wanted to pay for the rights to use The Office characters.

8. Supermacguy macrumors 6502

FileMaker is still the average person's go-to database app. I've been using it for small projects for almost 2 decades. At my work we use it for some very important business applications; that would be better served with a 'pro level' database. But then again, AppleScript support for the win sometimes.

9. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Apple couldn't afford the licensing rights from Dwight.

10. opeter macrumors 68000

opeter

Yeah, they are all out of money.

11. Chupa Chupa, Jan 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018

Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Pay for the rights to The Office characters? Heck, they didn't even want to pay for The Office caliber writers. If the script here used the actual Office names it still would be just as contrived and lame.

12. szw-mapple fan macrumors 65816

szw-mapple fan

They got the right to use Cookie Monster, so it probably wasn’t entirely out of the question.

13. David Parke macrumors newbie

David Parke

14. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It probably was out of the question. Cookie Monster ad for Siri/iPhone supported a multi-billion $ revenue product. FileMaker's annual revenue is around $65m. Suffice to say FM's ad/marketing budget is proportionally smaller than iPhone's.

15. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I'd forgotten FileMaker was still around. Back in the '80s and '90s it was one of the Mac's killer apps. Some people bought a Mac just for it.

16. sidewinder3000 macrumors 6502a

sidewinder3000

17. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Trust me—it Adobe can afford Rainn Wilson, then Apple can, lol. That being said, this commercial was terrible.

18. robinp macrumors 6502

Nothing I said compared it to iMovie or photos. Apple bundles apple script with every mac. Apple bundles terminal with every mac. These are not basic apps that anyone can pick up and just start playing with and hope to achieve anything.