Apple Substituting Some 16GB iPhone 5c Models In Need of Replacement With 32GB Models

cyberdocwi

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2018
Wisconsin
Damn, my son has a 5C that the battery is dead. AppleCare is gone. Wonder if I should take it to the Apple store but at this point i guess should just recycle it and don't bother.
A quick google shows that batteries are available, and some do it yourself kits for far less than a new phone.

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
These phones were awesome... but they were outdated and a year behind when they launched :(. The 5S or whatever had come out at the same time. Gimme a colorful back anytime over our current boring.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
Damn, my son has a 5C that the battery is dead. AppleCare is gone. Wonder if I should take it to the Apple store but at this point i guess should just recycle it and don't bother.
Could always take it to any third party repair shop and get the battery swapped for about $40.

FrozenInferno

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
Can you specify the poor built quality a little? It served me quite well, I think it’s a pretty rigid piece of hardware.
One of the corners of the plastic casing popped out slightly and wouldn't 'click' back in, and every time you handled the phone or pressed the wake button you could feel the plastic squeeking. The plastic itself is of great quality but the device didn't feel up to par with other iPhones we used.

To this day - and no doubt this will be an unpopular opinion - the iPhone 4 I had is still my favorite iPhone design ever. It's the only iPhone I've ever had that made me want to take it out of the case and admire its craftsmanship.

Reactions: Creepitor

BaltimoreMediaBlog

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2015
DC / Baltimore / Northeast
One of the corners of the plastic casing popped out slightly and wouldn't 'click' back in, and every time you handled the phone or pressed the wake button you could feel the plastic squeeking. The plastic itself is of great quality but the device didn't feel up to par with other iPhones we used.

To this day - and no doubt this will be an unpopular opinion - the iPhone 4 I had is still my favorite iPhone design ever. It's the only iPhone I've ever had that made me want to take it out of the case and admire its craftsmanship.
You have a different problem that you didn't yet realize. When the case bulges out, that's the first sign of battery failure, battery bulging, pushing the case out. My 5s wouldn't snap back in either. Apple couldn't replace the battery. They had to replace the phone. I suggest you get that replaced soon before it catches fire in your pocket.

FrozenInferno

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2013
You have a different problem that you didn't yet realize. When the case bulges out, that's the first sign of battery failure, battery bulging, pushing the case out. My 5s wouldn't snap back in either. Apple couldn't replace the battery. They had to replace the phone. I suggest you get that replaced soon before it catches fire in your pocket.
That phone is long gone, she had that 5C two phones ago.

mattan_lines

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2016
"Until further notice"... as if anyone's going to complain that their storage was bumped by double.

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
It's for the better. It should have never existed.
That's because the privileged snobbish tech bloggers are making up news about the failure of the 5c.
In reality, I've seen a lot of people with 5c. It did quite well as the color options are more attractive than the boring silver/gold/black only options. Too bad 32bit only.

Imo Apple should do a nanochromatic SE. After the demise of iPods, Apple has become a boring shade of silver/black/gold. Wouldn't it be nice if there's some blue or green in Apple's palette of colors?

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
My parents may be in luck if hers every breaks down. still going strong today. So, hopefully she's never need a replacement *ever* *cross fingers*

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
The iPhone 5c was a nice, lower-priced alternative to the iPhone 5s.
Don't forget... the iPhone 5C was lower-priced because it was essentially an iPhone 5 in the age of the iPhone 5S.

The year-old iPhone 5 would have dropped $100 anyway once the iPhone 5S came out.

All they did was change its case to plastic... and it occupied the same place in the lineup that the iPhone 5 would have at that time.

So you're correct that the 5C was cheaper than the 5S... but the year-old iPhone is traditionally cheaper than the current iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: martyjmclean

randyhudson

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
East Coast
In other words, the real cost of +16Gb upgrade was pennies, not $100. Now it actually costs more to buy 16GB, so Apple are giving customers 32GB because it saves them money

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
I still love this design. I love the bold colors and the embracement of plastic as a counterpoint to the Braun seriousness of most of the Ive-led iPhone designs. It's one of the few modern Apple products that harken back to the days when it was okay for Apple products to be fun and playful.

Reactions: ConvertedToMac

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
Is she HomeKit enabled?
Yes, but iOS 10 doesn't have the same HomeKit features, so it wouldn't let me add her iCloud account.

At least I'm assuming that's the issue... it just tells me the user can't be added with no other information. My wife and daughter are both added just fine, but they're both on iOS 11.