Apple sued over screen rendering technology in iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Katuls, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Katuls macrumors member

I think other companies are starting to get pissed that Iphone stole all their technology...

http://www.macworld.com/article/138839/picsel.html

Apple is facing another iPhone lawsuit, this time focusing on the screen rendering technology Apple uses in the iPhone and iPod touch.

In the suit, filed in the United States District Court for the District of Delaware, Picsel Technologies claims that the rendering process Apple uses on the iPhone violates Piscel's patents. Specifically, Picsel said its technology accelerates the process of updating the display on a device.

In the lawsuit filed by Nixon Peabody LLP on behalf of Picsel, lawyers said users would experience long screen update delays if it weren’t for the use of the patented technology. Zooming and panning documents, Web sites, and images would not work on the iPhone as fluidly, according to the lawsuit.

Picsel says its technology has been included in more than 250 million units worldwide. The company counts KDDI, Motorola, Nokia, NTT DoCoMo, Palm, Samsung, Sony Ericsson, and Sharp as customers.

Picsel is asking the court to order Apple to compensate Piscel for devices already sold with treble damages.

2. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

I wonder if this technology is what I previously mentioned

basically the iphone will not show the entire color sprectrum, it cuts off low end and high end gradients causing certain pictures to look grainy

here's what my investigation found

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=569462

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Well, they've lost their case right there.

Safari has always reverted to a checkerboard pattern when it can't load a page... which is always.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Nobody 'stole' anything. A lot of these things are created by different companies at the same time, but whoever gets to the patent office first wins it.

Likewise, the companies Apple is suing didn't steal anything from Apple. They're just similar ideas that Apple patented first. It goes both ways.

But 'stole' is the wrong word. You might as well say that they're pissed that Apple has super-human vampires. Hey, why not? It's just as true.

5. Fuzzy14 macrumors 65816

Fuzzy14

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I agree. What accelerated process? Perhaps Apple should have stole this technology.

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Apple should sue them for allowing Apple to steal technology that appears useless or unused by the iPhone...:p