Apple Sues Psystar

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Ratboy, Jul 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ratboy macrumors member

2. dbam987 macrumors regular

I'm... shocked.

I'm shocked that it didn't happen sooner. I bet that Psystar planned for such an attempt, and has a battle plan to win out the court case. I bet the people at Psystar think they'll win the legal battle in some way, shape, or form. Then Apple will be sued for illegally limiting people from installing OSX on anything other than Apple hardware.

Edit: I would love the ability to install OSX on my desktop legally. Maybe some good will come out of this.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

HECK, YEAH! Put them in their place!

Woe to thee, Psystar... the Hounds of Cupertino have come!

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

5. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

No surprise here. I'm just curious to see how it all pans out. Like dbam, I'm anxious to see how the EULA holds up... or if it doesn't.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

That's the end of them then....bit of a shame, really.

7. sananda macrumors 68020

hatched in their shed with their cousin's friend who almost got into law school.

8. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

It was only a matter of time. I'd guess it's taken so long as Apple Legal have been making sure their case is bullet proof..... we'll see.

9. himansk macrumors regular

I dont think Psystar would have sold enough clones (or at least earned a considerable margin from the sales) to finance a legal assault from apple.

10. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ well if Apple lost they would loose their license agreement for Mac OS X and it would then be legal to install on non Apple hardware.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I bet they didn't. And it's not illegal to place restrictions on how you want your software to be used, otherwise Apple's EULA would have been shredded years ago. I would also bet that the legal resources available to Apple are far more thorough and mindful than anything Psystar can muster. Watch them fold.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

We expected this to happen.

Doesn't look good for Psystar.

They probably won't be around much longer.

13. dbam987 macrumors regular

Maybe Apple will...

Maybe Apple will realize that people do want an option other than Windows and open up OSX to other hardware vendors. Then again, it would mean that Apple hardware sales will drop a bit since it is generally more expensive to get a Mac than it is to get a PC of comparable hardware.

The way I see it is that Apple will win big if OSX is allowed to be run on non-Apple hardware. I've been looking at getting a desktop with OSX but can't justify (yet) the need to pay $2800 for the Mac Pro until my rendering needs require the power of a server grade machine.

OSX has grown up big time over the past few years, where people who have used Windows for 10 or more years are itching to switch or have switched to OSX. The software base is growing, with a bunch of applications written for OSX are sprouting up like wildfire... I'm starting to think this is just a pipe-dream of mine.

14. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Maybe Apple was just waiting for them to make enough money to sue (no Apple would never behave like that! ;))

15. himansk macrumors regular

Dont hold your breath waiting for an OSX for PCs from APPLE

16. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

True. This might end up being a win-by-default situation for Apple.

Psystar need to close, pay some damages and run. No point in fighting.

17. m1stake macrumors 68000

Moral: Don't make crappy computers, allow your customers to install OSX themselves (Kind of like on the, uh, Mac), and don't cross legal lines with big companies that don't like you.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Doubt we will see Mac OS X running on anything but Apple hardware for the time being. Apple makes money through hardware sales. Software is there to sell the hardware.

Besides, why would Apple want to change their current mode of operation with their current growth rate? This is especially true considering the additional hardware issues they would need to address if they allowed the Mac OS X to run on all current Windows hardware. Not going to happen.

19. dbam987 macrumors regular

Apple doesn't necessarily have to be the one to maintain the 3rd party hardware vendors. They just need to provide a model to develop against. Microsoft gave hardware vendors a model to develop against. When Vista shipped, many vendors dropped the ball because they didn't release updated drivers in time for it, which boggles the mind because they had ample time to do so (NVidia is a big culprit of this; ATI had good, stable driver for Vista shortly after launch).

20. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

LOL...Apple's pockets are too deep. There's no way Psystar can afford a long legal battle. Apple will just drain them, and drag it out until they go bankrupt.

I never thought it would work...

21. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

LOL...Apple's pockets are too deep. There's no way Psystar can afford a long legal battle. Apple will just drain them, and drag it out until they go bankrupt.

I never thought it would work...

22. himansk macrumors regular

So when the same happens to PC running OSX, Apple gets blamed instead of the vendors, much like Vista & Microsoft were blamed. I dont think apple need that, they already have a VERY profitable business without the PC OSX. OSX adds value to apple hardware, and it works with their whole philosophy of "it just works".

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.