Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
I'm split about this!

In one way, Apple are completely right about rivals, etc. Plus someone has breached their confidentiality agreement somewhere. Think secret has provided really specific details.

However, like someone said above... rumour sites make people interested. They hype things so a lot more people buy in the first week! I mean, I watch the Apple Expo streams because I want to see which rumours were true and which i wanna buy :p

Sueing may be a bit extreme. Telling them to remove information is acceptable. But ThinkSecret has been warned in the past! So what is he thinking?

madrobby

macrumors regular
May 3, 2003
Daham
Isn't a leak one week prior to the offical annoucement ignorable? What's the difference?

Obviously, the leaks only happen when products are very close to announcement, when more people are allowed to know them -- so I don't think there is any big problem there.

Personally, I like false rumors best -- so the keynotes have more impact if really unexpected new and cool stuff is revealed... So I don't get it that Apple doesn't try to submit false rumors to the rumor sites -- would be cheaper than the lawsuits...

erik1975

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2002
Illinois
This just in . . .

I'm waiting on the second press release from Apple to come out today.

"Apple has given a web publishing award to the owner of macosrumors.com, who we believe run a rumor site like it should be run." Apple said in its statement. "We believe that macosrumors has never violated any Apple confidentiality, and also creates wonderful watercooler conversations around the Apple campus."

Apple also notes that newly announced lawsuit against thinksecret.com is said to be withdrawn if thinksecret 'changes it's ways' and writes more stories in the style of macosrumors.

;)

AndreMA

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2004
Boston, MA
Pondering cancelling my Powerbook order...

...in anticipation of contributing a portion of the funds earmarked for it to a Think Secret legal defense fund, should they set one up. Apple is merely shooting the messenger here. Poor form; I thought they had more class.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
ericmooreart said:
The legal action proves the rumors were true. I think the suit is a ploy to hype the new products. Why sue when they usualy deny everything. As proven in ages past people love drama and they'll get sucked in, giving the new products free publicity.

In the past, most rumors happened the night before, maybe the day before announcement when many outside of Apple already know about it. Lately, TS has been getting real detailed reports far in advance of launch. Apple is trying to plug their internal leak, as they should.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
e's reaction is on par with mine, wow i didnt think i would see this happen, but then again TS was getting pretty pushy with what they were putting out there, i would think MR is safe because we just link to articles and the such

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
mcmav37 said:
Regardless of what you think about the ethics of these lawsuits, do you think their simple existence lends credence to the topics of these rumors?

Why would Apple sue over release of information about non-existent products? Unless those products won't be coming out as planned. I hope we don't have to wait to hear about miniMac.

Not just the accuracy but Apple could be damaged by inaccurate rumours too - for example - rumours of lack of hard discs for its iPods etc - i.e., negative rumours.

T.S hit rate has been impressively high recently.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Yeah, if Thinksecret had been a bit more circumspect (stingy) with the info it had, it probably would've come out a lot better. Publishing all those specs and rumors just drew too much attention. They could've said "headless iMac on the way?, $499 G4" probably would've been less visible, and just as much of a scoop.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
machan said:
any chance this is all just another part of the pre-announcement circus, designed to whip all the rumor junkies into a frenzy so that we tell everyone we know about stuff that may be coming out in a week, thus providing apple with a larger audience of interest?

I doubt it. There are better ways for Apple to stir up interest.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
Guys, you need to realize that in reality, Apple cannot expect to win any lawsuit directly suing ThinkSecret. Since ThinkSecret is a member of the Press, they have the right to their freedom to publish what they want (as long as it isn't a direction to kill someone or whatever, which is clearly not the case). Nick (the editor and chief at TS) can make this kind of defense without the need for expensive lawyers and win.

However, Apple CAN intimidate its employees and perhaps get the name of ThinkSecret's source. This would be a major blow to rumors in general, as insiders would be less forthcoming.

Look at the bright side... Apple making this big of a fuss all-but seals the deal that Asteroid and the Headless iMac are real, and are heading for a launch soon. Maybe Apple will delay them just to piss off ThinkSecret, but Apple has just confirmed to the world that they are real.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
I wonder if this lawsuit against TS is a cover up for even a bigger product then a $499 Mac. A Powerbook G5 will fit the ticket for something bigger then the headless Mac. Apple might be doing anything to keep it sealed up even confirming big rumors before TS had a chance to post it.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
going too far.....

Swollen with the hitPod success apple are stamping on some of their most loyal supporters. Poor show.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
GIVE US A BREAK APPLE!!!

WTF APPLE!!! You have the most rabid, loyal following that loves to know info and they alone create this incredible buzz DESPITE your shrinking market share and this is how you treat them? Apple (or should I say simply Jobs) needs to pull it's head out over it's silly over-the-top smoke and mirrors razzledazzle razmatazz act over Macworld and/or any of his keynotes. Learn that any marketing buzz is press, press is good (in these cases) and that it certainly doesn't hurt Apple. It helps. Think if there wasn't rumors Apple wouldn't be plastered on everything from News.com to ABC to CNN? Eff no!!! If Apple/Jobs got his wish of abracadabra keynote NOBODY would care, oh sure, they'd get the press releases... but 90% of all press releases get circular-filed. Leaks get buzz, buzz creates a stir and anticipation that wouldn't be there otherwise. I'm sick of Jobs and his effing egoride for these things... though I guess it's typical Apple, the company that loves shooting itself in the foot and effing itself out of the market through stupidity, just add this to their already long list.

piracy

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2003
The suit is filed against site owner The dePlume Organization, as well as its owner who uses the pseudonym Nick dePlume, whose real identity Apple has not determined.

Um, it's pretty well known that Nick dePlume's real name is Nick Ciarelli. I can't believe Apple wouldn't have figured that out after going through the trouble to file suit.

Also, to all you dumbasses saying that "Apple went too far" and "swollen heads" and all this other crap, well, I hate to tell you, but Apple is 100% in the right here.

Porchland

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2004
Georgia
munkle said:
Wow! Scary stuff, lets hope they don't start coming after MacRumors! :eek:

MacRumors should be safe, since everything here is second-hand rumors anyway.

This is kind of a touchy area. Apple has a privacy interest in protecting its trade secrets, but rumor sites should be able to exercise their free speech without worrying about an overzealous Apple suing them.

I'm not sure how much of a trade secret it is that a new product is coming out in a week. If Apple is serious about keeping its product releases secret, it shouldn't have big floor shows like MWSF and WWDC.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
ericmooreart said:
The legal action proves the rumors were true.
It's evidence that some parts of the stories were true. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the specs or details weren't perfectly accurate.

I disagree with the claim that rumors "hurt the buzz". I think early disclosure of absolutely proven and confirmed facts could diminish attention, but that speculation increases the attention on Macworld Expo and other Apple presentations, announcements, and campaigns.

If only we knew how many people have a heightened interest in Apple's shows due to rumors circulating on the Internet versus how many read the rumors and conclude that they no longer have to pay attention to the actual announcements, we'd have some evidence to back it up.

If you already know the final score of a football game, you might not be as interested to watch it. But if you hear lots of predictions, you'll be more inclined to find out yourself by watching. That's part of what keeps newspapers, magazines, TV and radio shows, web sites, and even gambling operations in business before a big sporting event.

Most of us are here because we like Apple products and are already curious about what's coming next. Ironically, sites like this stir up Apple attention partly because the stories are sometimes correct and sometimes not.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Apple has gone to far, they remind me of a mini-monopoly trying to control everyone and everything around them because the world revolves around Apple :rolleyes: I guess when you have a measley meager 2% marketshare due to your own fault you have to be aggressive against rumors sites speculating on what you may do next. Have to protect that 2%!

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
ericmooreart said:
The legal action proves the rumors were true. I think the suit is a ploy to hype the new products. Why sue when they usualy deny everything. As proven in ages past people love drama and they'll get sucked in, giving the new products free publicity.

Of course, the other angle is that it could also mean that the rumors are false, in particular the $499 headless Mac story. That rumor has a life of it's own now and if it turns out to be false, Apple will stand to lose a lot, both PR and stock price wise next Tuesday.

piracy

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2003
Photorun said:
WTF APPLE!!! You have the most rabid, loyal following that loves to know info and they alone create this incredible buzz DESPITE your shrinking market share and this is how you treat them? Apple (or should I say simply Jobs) needs to pull it's head out over it's silly over-the-top smoke and mirrors razzledazzle razmatazz act over Macworld and/or any of his keynotes. Learn that any marketing buzz is press, press is good (in these cases) and that it certainly doesn't hurt Apple. It helps. Think if there wasn't rumors Apple wouldn't be plastered on everything from News.com to ABC to CNN? Eff no!!! If Apple/Jobs got his wish of abracadabra keynote NOBODY would care, oh sure, they'd get the press releases... but 90% of all press releases get circular-filed. Leaks get buzz, buzz creates a stir and anticipation that wouldn't be there otherwise. I'm sick of Jobs and his effing egoride for these things... though I guess it's typical Apple, the company that loves shooting itself in the foot and effing itself out of the market through stupidity, just add this to their already long list.

Sorry. But you're completely, utterly, totally, 100% wrong.

These rumor sites publish things they think are coming.

Then the big boys, like Forbes, and BusinessWeek, and CNN, and the Wall Street Journal pick it up (like they already have). Then, if all of these "rumors" don't come true, Apple is exposed to the wrath of investors who have been running up the stock with expectations that all the rumors, and more, will be fulfilled. If they don't come true, there's a violent (over-)correction. This massively hurts Apple in the eyes of investors.

This has NOTHING TO DO with rabid and loyal fans. It has to do with one web site. Is Apple suing YOU? Are YOU leaking Apple trade secret information to internet web sites? No? I didn't think so.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Photorun said:

Maybe the lawsuits are a concerted effort to raise the hype levels. Would seem to be working ;) :p

justinshiding

macrumors member
May 7, 2004
Chicago, IL
AndreMA said:
Poor form; I thought they had more class.

Agreed, it really is poor form. It's not TS's fault that apple employees can't stick to their NDA's ...think secret is just providing an outlet for reliable rumors ..unlike other rumor sites...(macosrumors).

Justin

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
You can't sue a website for publishing rumors. We live in a country where the press runs free. They kindly say that they are a RUMOR site. Apple need to improve their employer/employee relationship, maybe then all these specs wouldn't be leaked.

KEL9000

macrumors member
May 19, 2003
madrobby said:
Isn't a leak one week prior to the offical annoucement ignorable? What's the difference?

I guess it is ok to murder someone a week before they are gonna die.

Releasing confidential information hurts companies, and helps the competition (M$, Dell, Intel). If you say you love Apple how could you encourage or support the enemy. It's fun to speculate about future products given apple secrecy, but taking it too far only hurts apple and the apple community.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
The only comment I'd like to make is that I think some members of Apple's legal team will soon be hearing the words, "You're fired!" Not because they are filling these lawsuits, but because they were so slow in responding to these MacWorld-related leaks. It appears that the entire legal team was taking last week off when they should have been guarding the "hen house." Yes, time off between Christmas and New Years is common, but someone should have been monitoring the situation before it was allowed to get completely out of hand.

I think the damage (if any) has already been done. CNN cable news has even reported (on air) the rumors about a $500 Macintosh. If the reported price turns out to be too low (really $599 or higher price) or if the product isn't ready for a few more months then I think this rumor could actually damage Apple's eMac and iMac sales.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
if you look at it, what Apple is doing is completely acceptable - if their employees are leaking out product information, of course they have to do something about it.

With companies like Dull, it's ok - all the products are the same, and boring - there's no innovation. If Apple wants to continue innovating, they need to cover their backs. Think secret is leaking CONFIDENTIAL information onto the web. That's just not right.a

On the other hand, I think this may just be a scare tactic from Apple. Just to let the rumour sites know - speculate all you want, but dont you dare leak out confidential info.

I imagine TS has been pissing Apple/SJ off for a loong time now, it's just they've reacted late. It wouldnt surprise me if Apple drops this case soon.

/asif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.