Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
They may very well end up working for Apple or another software company. With students the lawsuit will cost them more than they will gain.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
FFTT said:
The practice of students sharing files may not be legal in the eyes of the law, however the majority of those doing so are not doing so for any financial gain.
They are not selling pirated software for profit.
Violating an NDA causes a lot of damage, even if you don't make money by doing so.

And pirating software costs the authors even if the pirates don't take money for their illegal distribution.
FFTT said:
Most are simply giving it a trial run to see how they like it.
So if you work for years on something (maybe your PhD dissertation), and I illegally release your work to the world before you publish, that's no big deal as long as I don't charge money?

You can make up all the pseudo-moral justification for blatant copyright infringement and breach of contract that you like, but nothing you say makes it in any way right.

Next time you have the opportunity to sign a contract (maybe to buy a house), let us know. i'll show your opinions to the other party so they know you have no problem with people who violate signed contracts. And when they take advantage of this, I assume you won't sue them over it. Right?

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
we should all learn to relax. It's christmas guy - a couple of college kids made a mistake, they had thier christmas ruined - theyll pay a fine and probably wont ever look at a computer again. They sound pretty remorseful..well according to the thread at MTKA - and they sound scared to death.

Anyway - its christmas, lets lighten up a bit shall we?

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Heart Break Kid said:
we should all learn to relax. It's christmas guy - a couple of college kids made a mistake, they had thier christmas ruined - theyll pay a fine and probably wont ever look at a computer again. They sound pretty remorseful..well according to the thread at MTKA - and they sound scared to death.

Anyway - its christmas, lets lighten up a bit shall we?

Sure, maybe it's also their birthdays and contracts they signed should not apply to them on Christmas or their birthdays.

They ruined their own Christmas. Remose may be pertinent in determining the penalty for their offense, but it does not mitigate their guilt.

You keep mentioned MTKA but you never link it. At least have the courtesy. Thanks and happy new year. :)

Heart Break Kid

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2003
Toronto
Rod Rod said:
Sure, maybe it's also their birthdays and contracts they signed should not apply to them on Christmas or their birthdays.

They ruined their own Christmas. Remose may be pertinent in determining the penalty for their offense, but it does not mitigate their guilt.

You keep mentioned MTKA but you never link it. At least have the courtesy. Thanks and happy new year. :)

sorry about that - i wasnt sure about the "linking" policy - umm
lemme find the thread on mtka. ill make it a dead link just to be safe.

h**p://macforum.torrentskickass.com/viewtopic.php?t=31220

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Heart Break Kid said:
sorry about that - i wasnt sure about the "linking" policy - umm
lemme find the thread on mtka. ill make it a dead link just to be safe.

h**p://macforum.torrentskickass.com/viewtopic.php?t=31220

no problem -- I didn't mean to make it sound like there was a policy to link what you're talking about. I just figure that after making reference to something a number of times it's nice to also link it so the rest of us understand what you're saying. thanks for linking. :)

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
wdlove said:
They may very well end up working for Apple or another software company. With students the lawsuit will cost them more than they will gain.

Yeah, right.

They've proven that these guys either don't read their contracts, or they don't consider their word their bond.

Believe me, in the real world, it'll cost the students a LOT more than Apple.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
I agree, gwangung. The only hope for these student pirates is to be self-employed. What software company in their right mind would knowingly hire anyone with an NDA violation in their past?

Daycare companies discriminate against child molestors, and I'm sure software companies discriminate against NDA violators - in both cases, with good reason.

Of course we have some people in here who claim that these students are big Apple supporters. Sure, and child molestors are really into kids. Enthusiasm doesn't make it right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.