Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan
Originally posted by invaLPsion
Bring on the First Quarter Losses for Apple. This will be a disaster........

Holy cow, they didn't release an ad during the Super Bowl and suddenly they are going to have a disaster? Where do you people get this stuff. Seriously take a nice deep breath and join me in what I like to call REALITY.

Apple didn't release SuperBowl ads for most of the previous Super Bowls and they have had profitable and non-profitable quarters alike. If your estimate of how succesful a company is going to be is based on whether or not they produce one ad then you better pray you never get put in charge of a buisness.

reedm007

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by Krizoitz
If your estimate of how succesful a company is going to be is based on whether or not they produce one ad then you better pray you never get put in charge of a buisness.

No, we are the ones who should pray for that :)

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
What a perfectly good savings of $2.3 million.

<sees frantic Appleheads, by claim only, running about crying>

"I'll never buy another Apple product, since they did not have a Superbowl commercial ...

at least not until they release one."

:D

howtoplaydead

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2004
NW FL
Re: Re: Re: Sarcasm? Which part?

Originally posted by reedm007
But whatever gave you the idea besides a german rumorsy site that there might be something? Apple certainly gave no indication. They haven't had a superbowl ad in years since HAL. They've been promoting the heck out of iTunes/Pepsi deal all over their pages and the ad that will run for that... I'd say Apple strongly hinted there *wouldn't* be anything in this superbowl.

So I'm not sure why you think yesterday was supposed to be one of those moments? Normally Apple announces brand new products in 1 of two ways:

1. Trade Show
2. Special Press Invitations to a special "event"

Yesterday was neither of those. I've never seen Apple announce *any* product in an ad campaign, outside of the original Macintosh in 1984, which just revolutionized the world. Unless Apple was going to come out with some mind-blowing revolutionary new product (which would be impressive, as nobody's heard an inkling about this, and Mac OS X work seems to be continuing in a fabulous evolutionary fashion), a Superbowl ad doesn't seem to make too much sense to me. It costs a LOT of money, and, frankly, I wasn't impressed at all by yesterday's ads, and I feel that virtually every company wasted millions of dollars on those ads. It seems the only worthwhile thing to spend money on for a SuperBowl ad is to launch a brand new amazing thing, which nobody succeeded in doing very well.

So, my point here is: There was no real reason to expect anything from Apple. And don't expect any crazy new products out of the blue on a random Tuesday -- Apple will set up some sort of event for that type of launch. All we get on Tuesday's is incremental updates to existing products, often times all we really want anyway. :)

maybe I got the idea that Apple would do something for their twentieth birthday? ....nooo! Maybe Steve promised a good year with new stuff...? Maybe.
Maybe I was just expecting Apple to celebrated 20 years of mac. twenty years of the modern OS, twenty years of stupid little metaphors.
twenty years of a drem team of layers who seem to fail in every case and get raped from behind by people like gates...

I felt that this landmark meant something to Apple... twenty years that has begun the largest and most loyal group of people to a single company.

Maybe they were going to show their loyal fans how the next twenty years would be as good as the past twenty. (even though it was only a year before Apple signed away their OS to Microsoft).... just maybe, I had a hunch that dominated me

reedm007

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2002
Re: Re: Re: Re: Sarcasm? Which part?

Originally posted by howtoplaydead
maybe I got the idea that Apple would do something for their twentieth birthday? ....nooo!

I mean, I see what you're saying here, but I'm just not sure blowing 2.5 million on a superbowl ad is the appropriate action to take. First of all, the Mac's "birthday" was January 24th, which had already passed. Second, are you saying you'd be happy if Apple just released an ad during the superbowl commemorating 20 years of the Mac? As both a huge Mac fan and a loyal stockholder, I would much rather them do something much more useful with their money than spend it on a big honkin' superbowl ad.

Here's an interesting idea: when someone has a birthday, don't *other* people normally throw the party for that person? I mean if I turned 25 and rented out a bar, bought everyone there drinks, and paid for everyone's taxis there and back, it seems kind of ridiculous... It's sort of supposed to be a time when everyone *else* celebrates your birthday. So for everyone who is as devoted and loyal as you are, and there are many of us, why don't we throw a huge party for Apple? Turn Macworld this summer into a huge birthday bash: invite all Apple alumni from years past and have a huge party. (That's about the best we can hope for from Macworld this year ;) )

Just a thought. Kinda random.. I'm probably pretty tired.. ;)

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
you guys over-estimate the importance of this company, and your actual devotion to it, on orders of magnitude.

pretty funny.

Apple didn't "revolutionize the world."

They made a good computer first. They didn't invent the GUI, they just made it run on a sub-10,000 dollar machine. They didn't invent the mouse, they borrowed it from Xerox.

Henry Ford revolutionized the world. Leonardo DaVinci (unknowingly) revolutionized the world. The Wright Brothers revolutionized the world. Galalleio revolutionized the world.

Apple did not.

Apple just yesterday implimented browser-tabbing in their "21st century" browser. And you guys get excited.

Browser tabbing worked in IE 2.0 and Netscape 1.0

Apple is great. But they aren't responsible for any "world revolutionizing."

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by benpatient
you guys over-estimate the importance of this company, and your actual devotion to it, on orders of magnitude.

pretty funny.

They still were first to use many of these innovations. I thought that Apple developed the icon. Mac people just happen to be boosters of their beloved Apple.

Krizoitz

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2003
Tokyo, Japan

Actually they did, they made computers, which had previously been open to a small elite accessible to everyone. Yes there were PCs at the time, but they were incredibly limited and hard to use.

Apple started the revolution that has led to computers being used in nearly every facet of today's society.

If Apple hadn't done it would somebody else have? Probably, but then the same could be said for Ford, or the Wright brothers. What matters is that the DID do it. Certainly Apple isn't the only ones responsible for where computers are today, but neither is Ford the only one responsible for the state of todays automobiles, or the Wright brothers for flight. The difference is that these individuals introduced a dramatic shift that led to these new opportunities, and that my friend is revolutionary.

reedm007

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2002

They made a good computer first. They didn't invent the GUI, they just made it run on a sub-10,000 dollar machine. They didn't invent the mouse, they borrowed it from Xerox.

But the thing you're very clearly overlooking, and many people have, is the fact that Xerox did not have icons, Xerox did not have a real workable interface. They had the concept of a graphical interface, but Apple saw the actual potential behind it (unlike Xerox), and pushed it forward to become a reality.

You can debate what the definition of revolutionizing is, because clearly the Wright Brothers took an idea that people had had for centuries: flying. So they didn't invent the concept. Nor did Ford invent the concept of transportation or even internal combustion. But they all saw the potential behind things, had enough vision to see where things were going and how they could combine ideas and available technology and make it a reality.

Apple just yesterday implimented browser-tabbing in their "21st century" browser. And you guys get excited.

This is a completely unrelated point, and only serves to try to distract us. Unless your point was that anyone who revolutionizes things must always be the very top of everything forever, in which case I say: Ford just announced they'll be shipping hybrids in 2005; Toyota and Honda have had them for over 5 years. Looks like Henry Ford wasn't revolutionary.

(Just for clarification, I clearly don't believe those last statements.. they're purely to show the ridiculous nature of the browser-tabbing comments.)

solitarycow

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2004
Pittsburgh, PA
HIDDEN LOGO!!!

Originally posted by skidoo
Justin Timberlake lopped of the wrong cuff. He was meant to pull the left one, revealing the apple logo on Janets left breast. HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Dude you are SOO right! Ladies and gentlemen we have a HIDDEN apple promo here! I can't believe I missed it!

Attachments

• hiddenapple.jpg
    hiddenapple.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 245

howtoplaydead

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2004
NW FL

pretty funny.

Henry Ford revolutionized the world. Leonardo DaVinci (unknowingly) revolutionized the world. The Wright Brothers revolutionized the world. Galalleio revolutionized the world.

Apple did not.

Henry ford only put the car in the assembly line, he did no more than Apple.

the Wright Brothers were only arguably the first to fly. Santos dumont, a Brazilian born Frenchman was the first man to make the airplane self-proppeld and able to lift on its own means, thus inventing the modern airplane. He flew three years after the wright brothers, had been trying for than Wright brothers had, flew dirigible in late 1890s. The wright's only contribution was the propeller, they catapulted their plane a few hundered feet many times.

I have no excitement over safari, sure its quick and I have come to use it, but I'm a long-time eBay user and have yet to find a free tracker for safari. If i did come across one, I wouldn't be too impressed, shouldn't be hard to make, if i had the time i would. I haven't been impressed with Apple in a while, I was expecting a flying car w/ a mac in the dash board when Steve jobs so highly quoted 'it' to be. By now I'd expect quad processors. Even Microsoft has announced their future use of Three RISC IBM processors, possibly a variant of the PowerPC 970. It will only be in shelves 2005, but the original xbox was equipped w/ a 733 p3 which was old history back when it was announced. a 3x G5 is not old history, is is unheard of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.