Apple Superdrive "Goodby"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by tibas92013, Feb 20, 2015.

1. tibas92013 macrumors 6502

I bought a Apple Superdrive around a year and half ago and I am thinking that I should buy another one for my Mac Mini 2012 in the near future as Apple may discontinue this product in the very near future due to it being very old technology. Any thoughts??

2. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

If you have the extra money sure why not. As for me I have not use anything that I ever need a superdrive since 2008. My first gen MBA made me ditch all CD/DVD.

3. dyt1983, Feb 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying information not relevant to the thread.

4. Negritude macrumors 6502

FYI, there is nothing special about the so-called "superdrive". Any regular optical drive will work perfectly on a Mac.

5. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Can you please share your experience and impressions of the Superdrive? There are so many bad reviews, is it really so unreliable?

6. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Do not buy a SuperDrive. It's a terrible value. ANY USB external works with OSX. Even BluRay USB. For $20 you can get a good USB external. Even if it doesn't last, you can buy 3+ before you get to the price of one SuperDrive. Oh and there is nothing Super about the SuperDrive

7. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

Thank you for the information. I have to admit that some weeks ago I almost bought one, but decided to read some reviews...
    I will opt for my fav brand then, Pioneer.

8. MRrainer macrumors 6502a

I always want to buy one.
    But then I make myself remember that I don't really create any new CDs or DVDs any more - haven't done so for a long time.
    I've got a large DVD-writer drive (5.25") in an external case but it seems to be unable to read some older CD/DVD media I created on my iMac and the computers before the iMac (the iMac reads these)
    Even at the time I actually created CDs/DVDs, they were mostly Boot-ISOs for FreeBSD and Linux-distributions - which I now run in VMWare Fusion at much higher speed and with more convenience.

Maybe if I can pick one up 2nd hand very cheap. But their resale value is quite high. They always sell for 60-80% of the as-new price. And that's pointless.

9. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Buy one of these, if you're worried that you want a device that still LOOKS like an Apple Superdrive:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B008NVWCIG

I have one, works fine, and cost one third of Apple's own.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, as the happy owner of MBAs since 2010, I needed to buy a Superdrive (and bought the Apple as I still buy and use (and rip and burn) CDs, and will long continue to do so; indeed, I use it to watch DVDs, too.

Now, I will readily concede that it is not the best designed piece of technology ever devised by Apple. My personal experience is that is one is ripping a number of CDs - and, as I often work abroad for months at a time, I buy CDs, either nine or in shops and rip a number of them in one sitting, - the Superdrive gets a bit temperamental after a while, and slows down.

It works best in bursts, rather than continuously, and to be quite candid, can be a bit erratic. Some years ago, I had one replaced under Applecare, as it was faulty.

However, it is convenient for what I do; it is a form of technology that I need - as I still buy and play CDs - and therefore, while the technology exists, I imagine that I shall have one in one form or another.

11. tibas92013, Feb 21, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

tibas92013 thread starter macrumors 6502

For the last year or so I have been using MacX Ripper Pro Software and my Apple Superdrive to "burn copies" of many, many of my favorate DVD's that I have purchased over the last 13 years.

I have been very satisfied with my Apple Superdrive which has not failed me once over the last year or so.

I prefer to watch these DVD Movies on my four DVD/Blueray machines that I have scattered around the house. Oh, here in Costa Rica they are presently selling new for around $120.00!

12. broadbean macrumors 6502a

13. tibas92013 thread starter macrumors 6502

14. iMac5,1User macrumors newbie

I sadly think so. I think Apple is going away from cd's and DVD's with the execution of iDVD and Apple stopping all production of Macs with SuperDrives

I even remember when a their was an option for a SuperDrive ;)

I still use a iMac 5,1 with a fantastic SuperDrive:apple::apple:

15. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I decided not to buy anything as a perfect external Plextor is still "sitting" on my computer desk.

16. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Sometimes, I think that there is a misunderstanding of the way technology works.

Just because something new has been invented, and wins widespread acceptance, does not mean that the older technology is discarded or immediately rendered obsolete.

The invention of TV did not lead to people abandoning radios.

Likewise, for watching DVDs, and playing CDs, those of us with Apple computers will still probably continue to use the Superdrive for quite some time, as the technology is useful.

As I write this, in fact, the Superdrive is sitting beside me on my desk, and just beyond that, is a DVD (which my brother gave me) of Grand Hotel Budapest, a movie I have yet to watch but shall do so sometime soon…...

17. Ulenspiegel, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I absolutely agree with you.
    I kept my DVD players, though I have a blu-ray player. And I still have my Pioneer Video-DVD recorder combo.
    By the way, Grand Hotel Budapest is not a usual movie. You have to be in the mood to watch it. Would be interesting to know what you think.

18. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Or just watch it in HD on Netflix. Too pretty a movie to be 480p.