Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple supplier BOE is having issues producing the OLED panels that are used in iPhones due to the ongoing global chip shortage, reports The Elec. The shortage will impact production "this month and next month," according to the site's sources.

iphone-13-pro-max-display-bleen.jpg

BOE gets its display driver ICs for Apple's iPhone display panels from LX Semicon, but LX Semicon's production is falling short of the target goal. Because of a lack of production capacity from foundries, LX Semicon is apparently supplying display driver ICs to LG Display before BOE.

As a result, BOE is expected to drop its OLED panel production volume from three million units to two million units next month. Apple has reportedly ordered up to 10 million OLED panel units from BOE for the first half of 2022, and it is unclear if the shortage will impact iPhone supplies.

The iPhone 13 and 13 Pro models were in short supply following their launch last September, but as of now, both devices are in stock and available for next-day delivery in most places.

Article Link: Apple Supplier BOE Facing iPhone Display Production Issues Due to Chip Shortages

• Haha
Reactions: madrigal77

mannyvel

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2019
Hillsboro, OR
"Because of a lack of production capacity from foundries, LX Semicon is apparently supplying display driver ICs to LG Display before BOE."

Coming soon: big truckfuls of fruity dollars.

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
Yet another suuply issues coming from BOE… I just don’t understand why Apple keeps going to them. It is not like BOE’s products are high yield high quality. In efforts to pinch every penny, they continue to live with supply uncertainties.

This is what I hate about Tim Cook regime. If customers are willing to pay premium for Apple products, at least build them with top of the line manufacturers. Don’t make products with crappy parts and claim every September that this is the best iPhone yet.

R3k

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Yet another suuply issues coming from BOE… I just don’t understand why Apple keeps going to them. It is not like BOE’s products are high yield high quality. In efforts to pinch every penny, they continue to live with supply uncertainties.

This is what I hate about Tim Cook regime. If customers are willing to pay premium for Apple products, at least build them with top of the line manufacturers. Don’t make products with crappy parts and claim every September that this is the best iPhone yet.
I think Apple have the quality control thing down fine.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
This won’t affect much, the chip supply is just going to lg instead which is where Apple gets most of their displays anyway. Apple is only going to boe to drive competition so they can pay the least for the displays while charging the most possible for their devices.

sw1tcher

macrumors 68040
Jan 6, 2004

No $99 million for you, Tim Cook! ?

Relentless Power

macrumors Westmere
Jul 12, 2016
Yet another suuply issues coming from BOE… I just don’t understand why Apple keeps going to them.
It seems, Because they can save the most with BOE displays. To further that, I would be curious to see cost figures side-by-side with LG, and what iPhone model panels is specific to them.

Reactions: GeoStructural

Populus

macrumors 68030
Aug 24, 2012
Valencia, Spain.

Exactly.

I want to buy an iPhone 13 mini, but I’d like to wait until September to get it cheaper. However, I am worried that parts quality might be affected by reducing costs, so I’m really considering buying it as soon as next month, or in April. I could wait until September and get a better price at the Apple Store, but I really don’t know if the device’s quality will be affected.

GeoStructural

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
Apple was using Samsung and LG OLED panels in iPhones, why did they cheap out and went to budget Chinese display company BOE??

You said it, they "cheap out". It's all about where savings meet decent quality for Apple these days. Samsung was a superior manufacturer, but they kept fining Apple for not purchasing the set quota of panels.

Reactions: PC_tech

Danfango

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2022
London, UK
Apple was using Samsung and LG OLED panels in iPhones, why did they cheap out and went to budget Chinese display company BOE??
BOE aren’t exactly budget end. They’re one of the larger industrial display manufacturers out there and bought up nearly all the other ones. They also have one of the largest innovation and research capability.

On top of that they’re Chinese which means it’s easier to do integration and supply chain management where your product is assembled.

I suspect the problem here is it’s very difficult to scale up to the level required for Apple’s supply chain.

Also Apple don’t want to depend on Samsung who is one of their main competitors. Especially when they sit there slating the products you’re selling using their own parts. They already migrated to TSMC from Samsung for ICs.

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
It’s a fact they lowered quality control standards in order to increase production. I bought two iPhone 13 Pro Max(s) and compared the OLED panel quality side by side, difference is night and day. You’re paying for the same price for both but what you’re getting is not the same value since one has an objectively worse screen than the other.

Reactions: Mescagnus

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012

And what has led you to believe that Apple is using parts that are sub-par? There has been no widespread complaints about iPhone 13 displays, and at this point there should be a pretty significant number of units with BOE displays out there.

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
It’s a fact they lowered quality control standards in order to increase production. I bought two iPhone 13 Pro Max(s) and compared the OLED panel quality side by side, difference is night and day. You’re paying for the same price for both but what you’re getting is not the same value since one has an objectively worse screen than the other.
And you know that one of those was a BOE because...? I've seen many displays in the same product that has color variance even from the same part supplier over the years.

Mescagnus

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008

Because they wish to entertain iPhone customers with panel lottery :p

Maybe not display manufacturer related, but they still have no fix for the raised / fluctuating blacks issue on iPhone 12 Pro. I get to enjoy the pumping blacks most nights. I won the lottery!

/s

Lexdexia

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2015
And you know that one of those was a BOE because...? I've seen many displays in the same product that has color variance even from the same part supplier over the years.
I don’t know, what I do know is Apple lowered quality control and no two phones have the same standard of quality despite costing the same price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.