Apple Supplier Corning Working on Glass Display Solution for Foldable Phones

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
IMHO , Yes.

Saw some YouTube reviewers who at first condemned Both Huawei and Samsung phones given the absurd prices.

But after Huawei let them physically use the devices, they have changed their minds.
Not about the price tho LOL...
Agreed. I wasn't a believer until I saw some hands on videos. It really does look at described, a phone/tablet in one.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Does it need to bend at all?
What about micro led's with pixels right up to the edge of the panel, like Samsungs tile demo recently.
As long as when unfolded bot screens are pressed tight up against each other.
could work ?

Relentless Power

macrumors Penryn
Jul 12, 2016
Whatever they used on the X is the worst screen I've owned in terms of scratching.
Not directly related, but only speculation, but the Oleophobic coating was alleged to be changed in Apples process during manufacturing for the X/XS, thus allowing Fir more scratches because of how it was applied.

Now, I never had any scratches whatsoever on my Max display, and I don’t use a case or screen protector, so everybody’s environment might be treated differently depending how they handle their phone as well. So that something has to be taken into consideration.

gmarm

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2010
Just my opinion, maybe I'll be proven wrong but:

Fast forward two years...

Do you remember when people were excited about the possibility of foldable phones?

Just because you have the ability to build something, doesn't also mean it's gonna be useful.

GuruZac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2015
Working to get the phone 6-10mm thick when closed is impressive if they can do that. The XS is 7.7mm thick. And if Apple can do foldable with glass vs plastic would also be very impressive.

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
What is the durability of foldable screens? How long before the constant bending compromises the display?

Reactions: skinned66

centauratlas

macrumors 65816
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
www.halloween.com
Please take your time, Apple. The last thing we need is a $3,000 “revolutionary” foldable iPhone. I’d gladly take a $1,500 one, though.
I agree, although there would be a market for it even at the price with people who want one device - an iPhone that can fold out into a (smaller) iPad. If you add an iPad and iPhone cost you are between $2000 and $2500 depending on the configurations involved.

So if you took the Xs Max ($1449 with 512GB) and could double (approx) the screen size by unfolding it to get 6.2" by 6.1" (vs 6.2 x 3.05) you won't hit iPad Pro size, but you'd get close to iPad Mini size (7.8 x 5.3 which is about 41 sq inches) vs the 37.8 sq inches on it unfolded.

Last edited:

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Please take your time, Apple. The last thing we need is a $3,000 “revolutionary” foldable iPhone. I’d gladly take a $1,500 one, though.
How much do you think Apple will sell it for? Not $1500 (the price of a maxed out XS) - because margins. Can't have a device cannibalize iPad sales for a discount either.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
What is the durability of foldable screens? How long before the constant bending compromises the display?
My other concern is how to do you protect these things? Cases in the traditional sense no longer apply. Only folios would seem to work I think. Especially on the Huawei design - which I think looks better than Samsung's - the only time it doesn't rest on its screen is when it's open.

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
Does it need to bend at all?
What about micro led's with pixels right up to the edge of the panel, like Samsungs tile demo recently.
As long as when unfolded bot screens are pressed tight up against each other.
could work ?
Yep, that’s another way to go, and possibly a better way, since there aren’t a lot of use cases where you need to use the device in-between its folded shut and folded open configurations. That also enables configurations like sliders, etc. The glass edge between the two parts, though, would have to meet very smoothly, which may be a problem in itself.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
People in China can get one Android tablet and three mid range phones for the price of this.
Well you can’t exactly expect them to sell a device that replaces two premimium devices for the same as one midrange device, can you?

longhorn2004

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2017
A product no one needs or wants. Good luck!
Its not about needs, its about wants. No one needs an Iphone but alot people want one. This will be the next big thing. Despite the small vocal 4 inch phone group here, millennials will always take a bigger screen.