Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Foxconn, the biggest assembler of iPhones, today announced that the component shortages that have constrained the supply of devices over the past two years are now showing signs of easing, Bloomberg reports.

chinafoxconn.jpg

The first quarter of 2022 is said to be experiencing a "major improvement" in parts shortages, and "overall supply constraints" are expected to ease in the second half of the year, a spokesperson for Foxconn commented at a company event earlier today. While TSMC manufactures Apple's custom-designed chips, Apple is still reliant on many industry-standard chips, such as for power management. Display drivers and power management chips have been among the components that have constrained Apple's manufacturing capabilities, and Foxconn added that power management chips remain in short supply.

The announcement is potentially an encouraging sign across the technology manufacturing industry, but TSMC has warned that chip supplies will remain tight throughout 2022. Major suppliers like Foxconn and TSMC are planning to maintain larger inventories in the future to ensure supply security.

Smartphone shipments have slowed over the past two years due to shortages, but supply chain disruption has primarily affected low-end vendors rather than titans such as Apple. Industry analysts believe that bottlenecks will not fully ease until the second half of 2022.

Nikkei Asia reported earlier this month that Apple is struggling to tackle a backlog of iPad orders because it prioritized iPhone 13 shipments instead. The 14- and 16-inch MacBook Pro models are also still in short supply around the world.

While supply chain constraints cost Apple $6 billion in the fourth fiscal quarter of 2021, the company's supply chain is now firmly in the process of recovering as it prepares for a slate of new product launches this year.

Article Link: Apple Supplier Foxconn Says Shortages Now Easing

bowler357

macrumors member
May 18, 2004
I hope that’s true and the rest of the suppliers get some relief. Getting servers and networking equipment has been so difficult for the last year+.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
**Note to MacRumors - as per the name of your site, Apple always builds Macs not just iPhones which are as, if not more (especially 16-inch screen sizes and 64gb modules) constrained by supply shortages.

• Disagree
Reactions: Caviar_X

Relentless Power

macrumors Westmere
Jul 12, 2016
I suspect it’ll probably be mid third quarter before we finally start seeing some stability with tech/electronics in general. Anything from surround-sounds to even certain smart TVs are still constrained. It probably will be that way, given that certain parts of Asia were hit late with Omicron.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I suspect it’ll probably be mid third quarter before we finally start seeing some stability with tech/electronics in general. Anything from surround-sounds to even certain smart TVs are still constrained. It probably will be that way, given that certain parts of Asia were hit late with Omicron.

I just want to know when the buy 1 get 1 free sale on new cars will start!

SoldOnApple

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
At least Apple don't need to rely on discrete graphics cards anymore, so even if crypto keeps pressure on graphics chips for the next ten years it won't affect the prices of Macs.

Relentless Power

macrumors Westmere
Jul 12, 2016
I just want to know when the buy 1 get 1 free sale on new cars will start!
That’s a really screwed up market too. In my area, used car lots are gone, new car dealerships have zero new inventory and I don’t see that industry settling anytime soon. Part of me actually thinks, The whole ‘car buying’ dynamic has changed where it will probably never be the same again. The used vehicle consumer market is just insane right now with inflation. (Inflation percentages anywhere from ~20% to 25%.)

laptech

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
All i keep hearing and reading is about the parts supply issue. Does anyone know what the actual issue was? was it lack of raw materials making the parts? lack of labour? or is it a case that there is a supply issue because the companies that make the parts didn't make enough? or that they are just not physically capable of making more to supply everyone that wants them?

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
All i keep hearing and reading is about the parts supply issue. Does anyone know what the actual issue was? was it lack of raw materials making the parts? lack of labour? or is it a case that there is a supply issue because the companies that make the parts didn't make enough? or that they are just not physically capable of making more to supply everyone that wants them?
It was decided that shutting things down was the best approach to slow the spread of the pandemic. Little discourse was allowed regarding the other consequences. Here we are.

So yes to all of those questions.

Pooneil

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2021
That’s a really screwed up market too. In my area, used car lots are gone, new car dealerships have zero new inventory and I don’t see that industry settling anytime soon. Part of me actually thinks, The whole ‘car buying’ dynamic has changed where it will probably never be the same again. The used vehicle consumer market is just insane right now with inflation. (Inflation percentages anywhere from ~20% to 25%.)
I feel your frustration. I thought that this would be my new car year.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68040
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I can say this has not affected me at all. My iPhone X is still going strong and I’m not looking at upgrading until 2023 and if it’s still working fine, might push out the upgrade to 2024. My 2017 iPad Pro is also working just fine too and I can’t see when I will be upgrading that either. Bought a M1 MBP back in 2020 so I plan keep that maybe for the next 9 years. You’d be surprised how long some folks keep their MacBooks these days.

I do want a large screen iMac though, but do I really when I could just buy a 27 or 32 inch display? Will think about it more when the 3rd gen of the large screen iMac comes out.

Apple Watch is likely to be the first device I upgrade since I am rocking a Series 3. But if Apple gives it watchOS 9 then hey, another year to save.

Apple products last long and with great software support you really can stretch out those hardware upgrades.

laptech

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
It was decided that shutting things down was the best approach to slow the spread of the pandemic. Little discourse was allowed regarding the other consequences. Here we are.

So yes to all of those questions.
In my personal and professional opinion as someone who worked in the electronic manufacturing industry for 17 years I think the pandemic excuse has been used to hide a multitude of sins within the industry. Over those 17 years I've been to trade shows and exhibitions where parts manufacturers show off their latest products and show promotional videos of their production facilities showing how the parts are made and I can tell you roughly 10% or less is human labour with the majority being automated machines.

So if electronic manufacturers are saying parts shortage is due to labour issues on their production line caused by the pandemic I am calling BS on that because it only takes a few employees to run automated production lines. I bet if TSMC showed a video of their waffer process in making chips I bet you it would show less that 6-7 people on the actual production floor, the rest would be done by automated machines in a clean room process to avoid any contamination.

Parts being stuck in containers waiting to be shipped to product manufacturers in other countries I can accept, lack of raw materials due to limiting people being close together I can accept because harvesting the raw materials is very labour intensive, but parts manufacturers saying short supply is due to labour issue due to covid, nope, cannot accept.

mj_

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2017
Austin, TX
It's completely bonkers, I agree. You're way off with 20-25% though as it's much worse than that. Last month I was basically forced to overpay 60% for a used 10-year old vehicle due to lack of viable alternatives, and I've seen inflation even worse than that: 5 years ago I paid $8k for a 10-year old Kia Sedona. Today, a 10-year old Sedona with similar mileage and equipment would punch a $18k hole in my wallet.

To add insult to injury new cars are practically non-existent and dealers are adding "market adjustment" markups of up to $50k to the few vehicles that are:

Screen Shot 2022-02-10 at 9.46.21 AM.png

I think you're right in assuming that the car market has changed for good and will never be the same again. Buying a new car was never a pleasant experience and always a major hassle. Who would've thought it would get even worse?

Reactions: SFjohn and siddavis

Sir_Macs_A_Lot

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2020
Apple products last long and with great software support you really can stretch out those hardware upgrades.
I tease Apple a lot because their products are overpriced and at times it feels like they are 'nickel and dime-ing' customers for things that should be included in the sale...but I must commend them for build quality and product support.

I've purchased many Apple products over the years and can count on one hand how many have died on me prematurely. Heck, even my iPod Classic 160GB from 2007 is still going strong (though the Backlight just went out recently).

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68040
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I tease Apple a lot because their products are overpriced and at times it feels like they are 'nickel and dime-ing' customers for things that should be included in the sale...but I must commend them for build quality and product support.

I've purchased many Apple products over the years and can count on one hand how many have died on me prematurely. Heck, even my iPod Classic 160GB from 2007 is still going strong (though the Backlight just went out recently).
I have a 20 year old iPod classic I bought off Ebay a few years ago. Hooked up to my PowerBook G4. Amazing it still works!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.