Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's suppliers have refuted a report suggesting that due to the ongoing chip shortage, Apple has cut production orders for iPhone 13 models by as much as 10 million units for 2021.

iphone-13-pro-max-display-bleen.jpg

Yesterday, Bloomberg reported that due to the chip shortage, Apple had informed suppliers about cutting iPhone 13 production by as much as 10 million units for the remainder of the year. The news caused a drop in Apple's stock, leading some analysts to be concerned about the performance of the iPhone 13 and Apple's ability to keep up with demand. Now, however, the company's suppliers are pushing back.

A preview of a paywalled DigiTimes report set to be published tomorrow states, "component suppliers for Apple's new iPhones have claimed no cutback in orders thus far this year." While the news about a cutback in orders may be incorrect, according to suppliers, there is little doubt regarding production challenges for Apple's products.

The iPhone 13 Pro and ‌iPhone 13 Pro‌ Max, for example, continue to list weeks or even as long as a month for delivery dates. The Apple Watch Series 7, going on sale this Friday, is also experiencing delays in shipments, with some high-end models leading into early December. A report last week said that Apple's suppliers are "scrambling" to keep up with production due to new energy regulations in China impacting efficiency.

Article Link: Apple Suppliers Refute Report Claiming iPhone 13 Production Being Lowered Due to Chip Shortages

Mick-Mac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2011
Yesterday's rumor "Apple to Cut iPhone Production Goals by as Many as 10 Million Units Due to Chip Shortages". Today's rumor "Apple Suppliers Refute Report Claiming iPhone 13 Production Being Lowered Due to Chip Shortages". Tomorrow's rumor "A new MacBook Pro is on the horizon".

w5jck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
There are shortages a various goods around the globe and current difficulties with shipping across the oceans, so my thought is Bloomberg reporters are just guessing it will have an effect on iPhones too. I'm getting really tired of these guesses though...

lkrupp

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2004
It’s called stock manipulation. Also, why do people on tech blogs take reports from yesterday and today as the gospel, confirmed, irrefutable truth?

I’ll tell you why. It’s all based on confirmation bias. If the report concurs with your bias for or against Apple you take it as the truth and reject any other reports to the contrary. Remember, all these tech blogs are rumor sites with armchair CEOs, engineers, marketing executives, software gurus blathering on about their expertise on subjects.

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
China has been having power blackouts, which are affecting factories, due to power production issues (which related to them restricting Australian Coal imports and then there being huge rains affecting a number of China's local mines and now China trying to get the Australian Coal moving again).

Whether this pans out to affect iPhone production is definitely a question. But it definitely looks like a good thing to get your holiday shopping done, way early (like now) before these issues (some self inflicted) work their way to the foreign consumer.

As an asside, not really sure what the national reactions would be in alot of countries if there just wasn't stuff to buy when the holiday rolled around.

Reactions: shanson27

lkrupp

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2004
View attachment 1863918

No supply chain issues here. Nothing to see. No problems with Apple products. Apple is unaffected by all the other issues effecting producers worldwide. The iPhones are being produced in mass, and the competition will be crushed.
The competition has already been crushed. The iPhone is the number one selling brand in the world when it comes to premium devices, regardless of the operating system. The closest competitor is Samsung.

topmounter

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Better to not overpay for components now and have inventory build. The 12s was unable to dislodge my wallet from my pocket, but I am looking forward to see what Apple can come up with for the iPhone 14.

Reactions: Jovijoker

cosmolv

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2012
Latvia
May be the chip and other components shortage in some cases may be due to dealers.

-----

"The chairman of massive semiconductor manufacturer TSMC has suggested that the global chip shortage is now being exacerbated by dealers stockpiling chips “who-knows-where in the supply chain”.

Mark Liu told TIME that he was forced to assess the data to establish which TSMC customers were stockpiling.

Because more chips were being sent to customers than were being sold on in products, such as smartphones and games consoles, TSMC data indicated to Liu that “there are people definitely accumulating chips who-knows-where in the supply chain”.

Liu said that TSMC has rerouted semiconductors to customers that were truly in need of them.

“Sometimes [customers] may not be satisfied, but we just have to do what’s best for the industry,” Liu said.

The semiconductor shortage began to affect industries in earnest in early 2021 but it traces its origins back to 2020. Chinese companies had begun stockpiling semiconductors over fears that they would end up on a US trade blacklist, as happened to Shenzhen-headquartered Huawei.

According to Liu, car companies blamed TSMC for the shortage.

“But I told them, ‘You are my customer’s customer’s customer. How could I [prioritise others] and not give you chips?’” Liu said.

He added: “We are learning too, because we didn’t have to do this before.”

SMC’s dominant position in manufacture – and its close proximity to China – has sparked political reactions in the US and the European Union. Earlier this year US President Joe Biden allocated $50bn to improve American chipmaking capabilities, and the EU has created a semiconductor alliance to improve competitiveness and “increase Europe’s digital sovereignty”."

kiranmk2

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2008
Article doesn't say which suppliers are refuting the claims which seems quite important. A big drop in iPhone shipments may damage suppliers stock price and as I understand it, only some components are in short supply. Thus companys that supply non-short supply components are likely still supplying at full rate to Foxconn (who will stockpile while they wait for short-supply components) will want their shareholders to know that they aren't affected.

At the end of the day, until Apple releases it's numbers for this quarter in the New Year all we can go on is the shipping times for the products and compare them to previous years.

Reactions: Jovijoker and nicho

PC_tech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2019
It’s called stock manipulation. Also, why do people on tech blogs take reports from yesterday and today as the gospel, confirmed, irrefutable truth?

I’ll tell you why. It’s all based on confirmation bias. If the report concurs with your bias for or against Apple you take it as the truth and reject any other reports to the contrary. Remember, all these tech blogs are rumor sites with armchair CEOs, engineers, marketing executives, software gurus blathering on about their expertise on subjects.
Ironic about that confirmation bias…,

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
No way TC could ever say production cuts are because the iPhone 13 isn't worth the upgrade. Blame it on the chip shortage. My 12 Pro and 12 Mini are doing just fine Tim. Maybe when you innovate a bit more (and dump the notch).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.