Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

093441-ios_clock_icon.jpg

Apple today posted a new support document acknowledging the daylight saving time bug being experienced by iPhone and iPod touch users on iOS 4.1 in a number of countries.

In some regions, shortly before or after the daylight saving time (DST) change, repeating alarms created in the Clock app may work incorrectly.

Apple's recommended workaround is for users to manually set their alarms each day for the next few days, suggesting that the issue will be resolved once the U.S. and Canada end daylight saving time this Sunday.

To resolve this behavior for existing alarms, set the repeat interval to Never. You will need to reset these alarms for each day you need them.

After November 7th, 2010, you can set your alarms to repeat again.

Apple Australia had previously stated that the bug would be addressed in an "upcoming software update", and Apple has since confirmed that iOS 4.2 will carry the fix.

Apple has announced that iOS 4.2 will be released sometime this month, but the company's seeding of the golden master version to developers earlier this week indicates that the release is likely right around the corner.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
So basically Apple knows this is a problem (an alarm clock is a major function of many cell phone users these days).

But they don't want to fix the problem. They just want you to go out of your way the next 4-5 days and manually do your own alarm adjustments.

Seems like they are just plain being lazy since they have 4.2 software ready to go and don't want to release it to the public earlier (or maybe it's the same problem in 4.2)

Comment

sweetie81

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Believe it or not but I've had massive luck. Since the clock was changed automatically I've always woken up bright and early before my regular alarm clock nor my iPhone went off.

However, today I woke up at 6.45am and was wondering why neither my alarm clock (despite being set to wake me up at 6.22am) nor my iPhone (6.24am) were waking me. Turns out my alarm clock is gone (well the alarm bit) and the iPhone having this stupid bug.

Found this out today as I usually switch the alarm off and then on again at night. They better fix that immediately. And yes very kind to acknowledge that

It's not that obvious anyway is it? :D

Comment

alakazzam

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2010
MA
Well good thing I manually set an alarm anyways... but are they going to fix it or are we going to come find out that next spring they'll tell us to just wait till the "switch" and we'll be fine again!?

Comment

sweetie81

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Well good thing I manually set an alarm anyways... but are they going to fix it or are we going to come find out that next spring they'll tell us to just wait till the "switch" and we'll be fine again!?

It actually works. Just disable the automatic time changes and everything is back to normal again. Still annoying tho.

Comment

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
It's great that Apple has come out with such an innovative temporary fix- set alarm each day?! Wow! Never thought to fix a problem with a recurring alarm by making it no longer recurring. Apple must have had a team of people working around the clock to come up with that.

Lucky I use my radio alarm clock anyway. However, this really is a joke. Remember when all those zunes couldn't cope with leap years? Everyone poked fun as MS, but at least this could be fixed by emptying the battery. Although, that was a more serious issue.

Comment

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
I guess this isn't a problem for me since I switched from an iPhone to an iPad, because we're still stuck on iOS 3, THE SAME OS WE WERE ON WHEN THIS THING CAME OUT ALMOST A YEAR AGO.

You guys are gonna be on iOS 6 by the time we see 4.

This sucks!

Comment

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
So basically Apple knows this is a problem (an alarm clock is a major function of many cell phone users these days).

But they don't want to fix the problem. They just want you to go out of your way the next 4-5 days and manually do your own alarm adjustments.

Seems like they are just plain being lazy since they have 4.2 software ready to go and don't want to release it to the public earlier (or maybe it's the same problem in 4.2)

Apparently you don't understand software testing, and therefore don't appreciate the risks involved in publishing a fix that doesn't work correctly, and the credibility that is lost when you have to say "No, it's really fixed this time, we promise".

Comment

andys53

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2009
U.K.
My own fix.

I'm using my Nokia N95 8GB to resolve the problem of faulty alarm settings, it just seems easier while I wait for them to fix this properly. :p

Comment

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; fr-fr) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

WestonHarvey1 said:
Apparently you don't understand software testing, and therefore don't appreciate the risks involved in publishing a fix that doesn't work correctly, and the credibility that is lost when you have to say "No, it's really fixed this time, we promise".
Apparently you don't realize that this is an issue that has been known about for weeks (if not longer). If they can't fix a problem that affects all but two countries apparently, on something that to the end user seems like such a basic thing, then it's Apple that looks foolish, not those complaining about it. The days of little Apple are over; they're an industry-leading company with many millions of users worldwide and many billions of dollars to devote to such things. They simply chose not to.

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
It's great that Apple has come out with such an innovative temporary fix- set alarm each day?! Wow! Never thought to fix a problem with a recurring alarm by making it no longer recurring. Apple must have had a team of people working around the clock to come up with that.

Lucky I use my radio alarm clock anyway. However, this really is a joke. Remember when all those zunes couldn't cope with leap years? Everyone poked fun as MS, but at least this could be fixed by emptying the battery. Although, that was a more serious issue.

The Zune bug bricked the device, hardly the same thing. And do you really want to download 4.1.1 this week and then next week have to download 4.2 when each one will be over 300mg to fix the time app?

Comment

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
I guess this isn't a problem for me since I switched from an iPhone to an iPad, because we're still stuck on iOS 3, THE SAME OS WE WERE ON WHEN THIS THING CAME OUT ALMOST A YEAR AGO.

You guys are gonna be on iOS 6 by the time we see 4.

This sucks!

iPad, iPhone and iPod will be in 4.2 most likely by the end of the week...

Comment

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
The Zune bug bricked the device, hardly the same thing. And do you really want to download 4.1.1 this week and then next week have to download 4.2 when each one will be over 300mg to fix the time app?

I said it was more serious in my post. Point is both Apple and MS screwed up on something really quite basic.

No I don't want 4.1.1 this week and 4.2 next, the bug should have been sorted out a while ago when it was first found, which I believe was late September. Does it really take 5-6 weeks to sort that out? This bug isn't a problem for me, but the point is Apple have dragged their heels.

Comment

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If the fix is in 4.2, and they say to wait until November 7th.... Wouldn't that imply that 4.2 is due for that day??

Comment

Xytal

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3GS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

If the fix is in 4.2, and they say to wait until November 7th.... Wouldn't that imply that 4.2 is due for that day??

That's how I'm understanding it.... thought I'm probably wrong, as usual. =(

Comment

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii

7th is when the Day Light Savings change takes place in the US, bringing everyone back into sync.

Someone dropped the ball on this one. This should have been caught and patched in the 4.1 release. I guess it wasn't detected in time.

With 4.2 in the tail end of testing, it would be pretty disruptive to roll out an interim patch. I guess when they weighed the risks of breaking something else with a poorly tested release, they decided against rushing a 4.1.1 (and 3.2.2.1 for iPad!) out the door.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.