Apple Support After Upgrades

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fed, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Fed macrumors 6502

In the very near future, I'll be purchasing 16GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD for the 2012 MBP 13" i7.

Before I go ahead with this, I want to be aware of the risks. So, say I upgrade the RAM (Apple state a max. of 8GB) and put an SSD in there. How will this change any support issues I require in the future? In particular, the scenario of putting SSD straight into the SSD drive Vs. Swapping the ODD out for the HDD as well.

For example, the lighting under my keyboard just stops working. I take it into Apple, will they see the various upgrades and basically tell me to get lost, make a note of it, and from that point onwards I'm screwed in terms of support? Or will they not care? Or will it be a case: "******, swap it all out, get it back to normal, take it in"?

I understand that any answers will be based on people's experience. Cheers!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have done many upgrades. Apple doesn't really concern themselves with annoying users.

That all depends really on what computer you have. If you're computer is designed to be opened up, like the classic MacBook Pro where the RAM and HDD are user upgradeable parts (of which Apple provides instructions on servicing to end-users), then Apple won't mind.

3. Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

That's a very good point. I didn't consider that. I suppose the only grey area would be the HDD in ODD bay then? Unless Apple have actually released a guide to do this (I'm guessing not!).

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well it depends; if you go to the store complaining that your wireless isn't working, and Apple opens up the computer to find your messed up the wireless antenna cable (which sits on top of the optical drive), then they may refuse to repair it (or they might repair it anyways and warn you).