Apple Support - antenna issues because of missing protective coating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RoboCop001, Jun 25, 2010.

1. RoboCop001 macrumors 65816

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/06/jobs-on-iphone-4-antenna-avoid-holding-it-in-this-way.ars

According to Ars. Check out the last paragraph.

Here's the quote from the link on the Ars page. Looks like the guy was talking to Apple on the phone and they're sending him a new one.

2. musr macrumors newbie

3. icyfire macrumors 6502

makes sense i guess, still can't believe that steve sent out that email. I called up Apple and they gave me the same response, get a case or hold the phone differently. Yea, I think I'm going to return this thing.

4. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

That is interesting. Now if we can only substantiate this claim. I would see an apple support bulletin in the future about this with possible recall. Hum....It would certainly explain why some phones seem to do this and others do not have the problem at all. You would think if it was a product of the design, then all phones would suffer the same issue. Certainly they do not.

5. RoboCop001 thread starter macrumors 65816

Here's the quote from the link on the Ars page. Looks like the guy was talking to Apple on the phone and they're sending him a new one.

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Seems odd to me that a random CS rep would be the first (and so far only) to break this news. That's not typically how Apple disseminates information. If it came from an SJ email... Not saying I don't believe the person heard that from a rep, but I think the rep is theorizing.

7. mackworth macrumors member

That would explain why some people see it on their phones and others don't. The first thing I tried to do was reproduce this when I got my phone, and I didn't have any issues (although my hands weren't wet and now I have a bumper on)

8. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

That would make sense. I was Actually just talking to my gf about using her clear nail polish around the band. I figured a little coating around it would help. I'm gonna wait and see if apple comes out with an official fix before I do that though, as it's not terribly bothering me, just annoying, and I'm gonna get a case as soon as I find one I like.

9. ReflexReact macrumors 6502

This rumour flew around yesterday. As nothing is confirmed, it's just too early to speculate. Apple themselves don't know yet - and I suspect anyone told any otherwise are being told that to get rid.

10. AK10R macrumors regular

Then those with a full body invisible shield should not have a issue……

Anyone notice a difference after they applied the full body type shield?

11. beforeyougo macrumors newbie

I installed a Zagg full body shield last night, it doesn't seem to stop the issue, although when I tried it at work today in the same spot I was in yesterday, it did seem to happen alot slower. The Zagg shields seem to be cut so as to not overlap the connecting points, but I stretched one slightly when installing, so one of my connecting points is covered, but the other is not.

12. 3kids macrumors regular

My issue has gotten worse, actually. I expected it to be a stable fault; just don't tough the bottom edge of the phone:rolleyes: and it would work. That did, until last night. That was the last time I could pick up the signal at all. Today just a consistent "No Service."

13. 3kids macrumors regular

I thought about one of those little useless Band-Aids they put in the package....the ones you have hundreds of because they are not big enough for any cut that actually bleeds.

14. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

I can't believe they would have the Balls to say that to a paying customer.
    I didn't even bother to do all that phone haggling, I would go the F off.
    shame on you snapple.

15. nin7474 macrumors 6502

I'm calling AppleCare and going to ask for a free Bumper. What are my chances of them sending me one?:confused:

16. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Definitely subscribing to this thread. This is getting interesting.

17. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

According to Engadget they were able to reproduce the issue on some new phones they bought on launch day...but their test unit did not have the problem. I wonder if Foxconn screwed up the manufacturing of the production run...

Maybe they put a coating on but it came off because they didn't give it time to dry like with the yellow screen issue.

18. djrm macrumors 6502

djrm

19. wpc macrumors regular

I just got off the phone with technical support and was told Apple is aware of the 'fault' with the iPhone antenna and egineers are working to resolve the issue. In the meantime I was told to get a bumper from the Apple store to temporarily address the issue, nothing offered gratis.

Recall in the near future?!

20. nin7474 macrumors 6502

I asked about it. Told to Restore and on hold on. Will update soon.:rolleyes:

21. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Telling consumers to hold the phone a different way might be a sign of a recall, as there isn't really any fix at the moment. If they do give a recall, everyone will be praising Apple, and all this stuff will be irrelevant. Hm.

22. jtara macrumors 65816

Makes sense, given that I can't reproduce the problem.

Now, this will make interesting conversation with a friend of mine, a PhD Materials Scientist. What kind of non-conductive protective coating won't wear off?

This might interest him, since his specialty is bonding ceramics to metals.

23. wpc macrumors regular

I just hope they don't try to hide the problem through a software patch that will 'fix' the problem... if there is interference, there will be dropped calls regardless what the software tells us... so I hope if there is a real issue here it's a recall.

24. dmx macrumors 6502

I wonder if they are talking about a coating on the outside over the antenna or something on the inside of the phone.