Apple Support for PC Mice?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nyycavo24, Jan 22, 2008.

1. nyycavo24 macrumors member

I have had a hard time locating this in the forums (even though I'm sure someone else has asked it), so I am sorry if this topic is located someplace else, but...

I recently bought my MBP and am looking to do some video editing and gaming...To do that stuff with a standard laptop is tough unless you have a mouse.

My question is, will the MBP support ANY type of mouse, whether its a one button or two button? What about when using the bluetooth?

How does the bluetooth mouse work on these laptops?

I have a pretty crummy wireless mouse/receiver right now, but I need a new one. I don't want to pay more than $30....any suggestions?

2. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Virtually any mouse will work. Though if you get a multi-button mouse you might have to use USB Overdrive to program it. Check Macworld.com they got plenty of reviews there.

4. nyycavo24 thread starter macrumors member

Great, thanks for the info..

What is USB Overdrive? Some type of application I can find on the web someplace?

5. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Yes, USB Overdrive is an application.

Almost any USB or Bluetooth mouse will work up to at least two buttons and a scroll wheel. However, any extra buttons beyond the main two and wheel might not work, but many often do.

6. macdave121 macrumors newbie

recently purchased the logitech vx revolution. nice mouse. its got 7 buttons. so for getting the page back/forward buttons to function in safari i've installed Steermouse, am testing it now. one of the good things is that you can program the mouse buttons to have different functions in different apps.

so does anybody out there favour another mouse driver to steermouse?
    I think i'll be purchasing this since it make mouse compatibility an easy thing.

BTW I've had 4 mice plugged in and they all worked. you mac will assign all 4 buttons if you mouse has four.