Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GbV76

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
Ontario, Canada
So my iPod crashes/resets every time you touch it when it's not plugged in. It's less than a year old, so i'd like to send it back to have it repaired. But when I try and "order" a repair through the Support section on apple.com I get an error message right after the page where i input my contact info. The error reads "Sorry, an error occurred and we had some trouble processing your request. Click the Reload or Refresh button to try again. If the problem persists, quit your browser, and start the transaction over again."
I've tried quitting/resetting browser. I've tried Safari. I've tried IE. I've tried OSX, WinXP, Win2000. Same deal every time. Anyone else ever run across this? I tried sending an "email" to apple through some form on the site, but they don't seem to care enough to email me back. Any suggestions?

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
To get technical assistance by phone, call 1-800-275-2273. If your product is within its 90-day complimentary support period or covered by an AppleCare Protection Plan, you will not have to pay for the call. Otherwise, you may purchase per-incident support for $49.

GbV76

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2003
Ontario, Canada
So.....even though my iPod is under warranty, i have to pay 50 bucks to phone them and tell them it's broken? And then another 50 bucks to ship it them? And even though there is a link/form/whatever on their support site for requesting a repair, you don't think that they'll authorize a return? What's wrong with this picture......is apple support always this ****ty? Maybe i need to rethink my decision to switch.... Support for any other 8 month old computer or piece of electronics isn't nearly this ridiculous.

000111one111000

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2001
DeKalb, IL
If it's still under warranty, then you should be able to call them without being charged.

When my 1G iPod's battery died almost a year after purchase, all I had to do was request a repair on their site, and the box to ship it back to them arrived within about 2 days, I believe.

And as for calling them about a product that is still under warranty, I don't believe they'll charge you. At least, I wasn't charged. I think the key is that you registered the product when you bought it.

Of course, there are certain special occasions don't even require registration. I never registered my AirPort Extreme base station, but when it died, I called them. They just asked for the serial and found that it was within a certain range where replacement was free. Thus, I wasn't charged for the call.

Anyways, just call them. I'm pretty sure you won't be charged if you're under warranty. I didn't.

enoch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.