Apple Support Sux

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Elmo51, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Elmo51, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015

Elmo51 macrumors newbie

For 2 years I've been enduring (what should be) a simple iPhone 5 problem: iCloud is constantly interrupting me to ask my Apple ID password for an old Apple ID connected to an email address that has been DEAD FOR 4 YEARS. I don't remember the password I can't reset without accessing the dead email account - which is impossible. Worse, I don't even use iCloud. Meanwhile, I have a completely different Apple ID on the SAME PHONE that works fine in the Apple Store - yet it seems impossible to change the Apple ID on iCloud to the working ID. Although a Google search shows many with the same or similar issue, I have yet to see a fix. If you go to Apple Support (joke...) they pass you off to a user forum where you can waste days reviewing the suggestions of a truck-load of dummies who know even less about the issue then you do. I went to an Apple Store - they wiped the phone clean and reinstalled back to factory. Worked until I got home and iTunes restored the phone - including the bad Apple ID issue. An Apple ID connected to a dead email address must be an issue that has happened millions of times. What is the solution and why doesn't freakin' Apple publish it? Thanks for your feedback!

2. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

Just curious have you tried to set up the device as new to see if the old ID still persists? I'm thinking that old ID is in the backup you are using and that might be why it keeps bugging you.

3. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Got to be something in your backup, do not see any other way:rolleyes:

4. Elmo51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your suggestions. Ok - so if I reset the phone to factory default it should be fine - but what happens when I plug it into iTunes? How do I get rid of that legacy Apple ID that resides somewhere in the iTunes backup?

5. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Did you restore from a backup in iTunes? Or just download your apps and stuff manually, and iTunes managed to push something to you behind the scenes?

C

6. Elmo51 thread starter macrumors newbie

Eventually I'll have to plug it into iTunes to transfer images & music plus I'm not sure if I'll have to repurchase apps that I've bought through iTunes.

7. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

And that's why I asked if you restored from backup, or if iTunes pushed something out to your phone without your approval. If your backup is corrupt, it's corrupt. If you use it, you can expect the same results. But if you set up your phone as a new phone, you can get all the apps, and you should be able to get all your music and photos without restoring a backup.

C

8. Elmo51 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will try that and advise. Thanks for your input.

9. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Any apps you have downloaded, paid for or not will always be available to re download at no charge under your user name/Apple ID.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Were those apps bought through your old AppleID or the new one that you say you also have?

11. barbu macrumors regular

barbu

Sounds like there is an app that you downloaded with the old ID that keeps getting restored back. If you examine the apps saved on your computer (via Get Info), you should be able to see what ID is associated with each download.