Apple Support

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aware, Dec 12, 2012.

1. aware macrumors member

Let's say i sold my mac and have registered my mac before, if i unregister my mac, can the buyer register the mac for Apple support and does he get warranty?

2. efirmage macrumors member

Just have the buyer call in with the serial number, he/she can ask them to register it in their name.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

^^^ What he said, thats what I did when I bought a used iMac.

4. simsaladimbamba

Apple Care and the Apple Care Protection Plan are tied to the Mac and not the person, thus if your Mac with one and a half year of warranty is stolen, the thief can still bring the Mac to Apple or an Authorised Repair Shop for repairs a year after the Mac has been stolen.

5. aware thread starter macrumors member

So, do you get 1 year warranty?

6. simsaladimbamba

The standard one year warranty for a Mac does not get extended when being sold. The same goes for the additional two years the Apple Care Protection Plan has.

If you have a six months old Mac with six months (30 months) of warranty left, upon getting sold, it will still have six months (30 months) warranty left.

Or I could have misunderstood you.

7. aware thread starter macrumors member

But if you never register your mac, you don't get warranty right? The warranty starts from the date when you register your mac?

8. simsaladimbamba

Again, the warranty is tied to the machine, not the person, thus registering will not help extend any existing warranties.
    The warranty starts from the day of purchase, not from the day of registering. You do not even need to register a Mac (though I do not know how registering works with Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, but that still does not have to do with the warranty).

If you buy your Mac on 23/12/2011 (dd/mm/yy) and register it on 5/11/2012 (dd/mm/yy), the warranty is still only valid till 22/12/2012 (dd/mm/yy), and the extended warranty (Apple Care Protection Plan), if purchased AND registered within the first year of the Mac being bought, is only valid till 22/12/2014 (dd/mm/yy).
    See, as soon as you buy a Mac from Apple, it gets registered in their database as being bought, to automatically start the warranty, as registering a Mac is not necessary (again, I do not know how it is with current OS X versions due to Apple ID excrements). If you buy your Mac from an authorised reseller or other vendor, that reseller or vendor sends its data of Macs being sold (serial numbers and dates) to Apple, thus Apple can put it in their database, again, registering your Mac is not required.

Was that understandable?

9. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

No, I got the remaining of it. It didnt "renew" itself or anything.

10. aware thread starter macrumors member

Understood, thanks for the replies.

11. simsaladimbamba

No problem, have a good evening.

12. aware thread starter macrumors member

Maybe this is a stupid question but can i unregister my device and then register it back in some time? Also, how can i find the date of registration?

13. De5 macrumors member

Why would you do that? Not that I think of, no you can't. Try googling a little bit maybe?

14. aware thread starter macrumors member

Let's say if i give my device to someone and after some time the person decides not to have it and give it back. So can i do it?