Apple Support

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Shaun.P, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

MacBook Number 1

8 days ago (last Monday) I bought the entry level MacBook from my nearest Apple Store (35 miles away). When I drove home and set it up, I realized the mouse pointer was acting strange. It would often jump around the screen, and focussing on buttons etc was difficult.
    I phoned the store and see if they would return it. I was told I could get a replacement considering I just bought it. So, I drove back to the store that day, and one of the customer advisors checked it out and realized that it was indeed faulty. I got a replacement.

MacBook Number 2

I took the replacement home and set it up. However I soon realized that it had the same problem - just not as obvious. I decided to just forget about it as the problem was difficult to reproduce and it was subtle - but nonetheless annoying. A few days later, the problem frustrated me so much I took it back to the store on Thursday. The customer assistant said he could not see anything wrong with it, however did agree to give me a replacement.

MacBook Number 3

Took this one home - it was much better with the trackpad. Last night, I inserted Lord of the Rings : The Return of the King into the DVD drive, the DVD menu appeared and when I went to select 'Play', the computer went into sleep, and a few seconds later woke up. I didn't think too much of it, assuming it was probably just a glitch. A few moments later it happened again... and again and again... until I couldn't use the computer at all. I shut the computer down and started it up. I noticed the power light constantly stayed on - it is meant to switch off when the computer starts up. Also - no Mac chime. Instead - a grey screen with a progress bar (similar to the one you see when Windows XP or Vista starts up - except grey) with no Apple logo. After this, a blue screen as if the computer was starting up - and then the screen goes black and the computer goes to sleep. No matter how many attempts I tried this kept happening. I was able to perform an Apple Hardware test - which told me the computer had no problems.

Today I returned it to the store, and this time asked to speak to the manager. The customer assistant asked if he could see the fault - so I showed him. He went away for ten minutes and came out with the manager. The manager asked me to turn the computer on. I said, "It is on!". I showed him the problem, said I was contemplating simply getting my money back and how I've had to travel 35 miles to the store each time, and 35 miles back to my house. I asked it he was able to give me a different model, but was told, "I can only get what I paid for". I then asked about some sort of compensation if I take another new machine as this will be the fourth one given to me. I was told there are no cash compensations given, but that I would pick any software I wanted up to the value of £100 / $200 and he apologized and iterated I've just been unlucky and that the MacBook is their best selling machine.

MacBook Number 4
    So I took Microsoft Office 2008 Home & Student edition (which I already have, but I've put it on eBay :)). I'm very happy with the compensation I received - I wasn't expecting as much and the new machine seems to be working fine. :).

Basically, I want to know if you'd had any problems with Apple - especially regarding recurring faults and what compensation you've received, if any?!

2. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

Bought an 80gb ipod classic, got home, sync'd with itunes & the ipod kept going off, as the apple stores only about 9.5 miles away, took it back and was told i could have a refund or replacement, replaced the unit and it's still working ok, no problems, i guess i was just unlucky, the amount of units i suppose there has to be at least 1 faulty one for every 100 goods ones, but i was happy with the service i received, and am still happy with my ipod :D

3. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

My 8gb iPod Nano 2nd gens hold swicth broke and they would replace it for $500 what a rip off