Apple supports new icons, but not hacking!??!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Speedracer04, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

Soooo I was just cruising around looking for new icons for the iPhone...when I stumbled across this:

New icons, big deal you say....but from Apple's website!?

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/icons_screensavers/comiciphoneicons.html

They have a new icon set for download on their site, but yet they dont support hacking the phone...this seem fishy to anyone else? :confused:

Maybe they could enlighten us, on how to replace icons without hacking our phones?

2. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

These are not icons for your iPhone, but rather for your computer that are inspired by the iPhone. That, and this is not from Apple, but from a third party vendor.

3. Speedracer04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

I know that they are from a third party vendor, but they are still hosted on Apples website which regulates what is uploaded and available for download...and someone just happened to make the 16 iPhone icons with the correct pixel dimensions for the iPhone, for the Mac OS?

What would anyone use these icons for besides the iPhone...

4. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

5. s8film40 macrumors 6502

s8film40

The fasticon.com website does describe them as "16 freeware replacement icons" That would seem to imply they wre intended to be used on the iPhone.

6. Speedracer04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

anything they want? Ive been to the fasticon website, I know that they make icons that people can use for other things as well as icons for the iPhone.

My only point was that:

-Apple has a regulated download page
    -Apple has icons on their download page, that are, if not specifically mentioned, are for the iPhone.

It just seemed weird to me that will all the hype the last couple days about them being so against hacking they would have something like this up on their website...thats all, jeeze :rolleyes:

7. samiwas macrumors 65816

The icons are not the pixel dimensions for the iphone. These icons are 128x128 and iphone's are 60x60.

8. Speedracer04 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

ah, my bad. Im at work and I cant download them, but I thought when I downloaded them before they are the right dimensions.

Anyway, still interesting to me Apple would have these icons up.