Apple supports non-AT&T carriers?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacGeek7, Mar 10, 2008.

1. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

A friend and I were watching the Apple SDK Event from March 6th and noticed that in the iPhone simulator running on the iMac that the AT&T carrier is not specified, however it just says "Carrier".

Any ideas on why that might be?

Attached Files:

2. n8person macrumors newbie

n8person

yeah, i saw that too...

yeah... i wonder what they're trying to say with that....

3. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Remember that ATT is not the only carrier. 02, Tmobile and ATT legally carry it.

4. pab277 macrumors regular

since the SDK is avalible throughout the world, Apple didnt specifically specify the carrier was AT&T since the UK's carrier for the iPhone is o2 and germany's is tmobile..etc. they didnt want to exclude other countries by only mentioning it was at&t.

5. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

i completely agree with you but remember, the applications can only be sold in us.

6. rjohnstone macrumors 68030

rjohnstone

That's a screen shot of the Aspen emulator.
    It says "Carrier" because well... it has none.

7. charlieMonroe macrumors newbie

Nope. Not really: now it's *possible* for US developers to join the program, but as mentioned, Apple will allow developers from other countries to join it in the following months:

But remember this is a thing of developers, not customers - there's not a word about customers...

8. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

1. Apple takes in more carriers than just the US one, think of how many countries sell it.. (And how many DON'T have AT&T......;))

2. Apps will be sold all over the world.. If they didn't no one would make much profit from like.. the world market.

3. The Beta program is only available to the US now but in the future its being brought out to more.

9. iPhelim, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  10. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

Haha yeh :p

I best make myself look I'm in a half-decent company so I can get the BETA :D

@iPhelim - I love your sig on here btw.

11. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Why would Apple want to give free advertising to ATT?
    On the iPhone they have no choice but this is part of the SDK.

12. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

You're right, because the warranty is for Hardware only. There is NO software warranty.

In fact, all the warranty and user agreements specifically state that none of Apple's software is guaranteed to work... not even their own OS.

This is why Apple never publicly states that hacking voids the warranty. They instead very cleverly say that it is not covered by the warranty. Well, duh, not even their own updates are covered by the Hardware Warranty. Just another example of Apple's recent penchant for devious sleight of hand statements.

However, there is a Software License, and that says you can't modify stuff. Recently they've mumbled that violating it somehow voids the warranty and/or at least means they don't have to honor it. I'd love to see a legal challenge.