Apple Support's response to 13" MBP with SATA 1.5

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macat, Jun 22, 2009.

1. macat macrumors newbie

I started a new thread to discuss this issue. I thought the old one was getting out of hand. I'm hoping we can provide our responses from Apple Support in this thread.

I just got an email from my support person today and they said the engineering team's response was that the system should run with SATA 1.5 with a standard hard drive and SATA 3.0 when you install an SSD drive.

Of course it does not work, my system shows SATA 1.5 with my Intel x25m drive, but I can see why they would try and implement this if there were any slight benefits.

I have hope that this might get resolved and I'm using Apple's response as proof that the MBP lines do support SATA 3.0. I've sent an email stating the fact that my system still runs in SATA 1.5 mode with an SSD drive. Hopefully I will hear within a week.

2. semiotic macrumors newbie

wow, that's pretty good news really, so it is only a software bug?!

3. Zenze macrumors newbie

Yea I agree, the old one is getting to large for its own good.

But that is really good news and would really seem to say that its not a hardware issue after all. However, I am still going to wait for the final outcome before I buy... :D

4. macinsanity macrumors member

This is good news, however to play it safe please follow applefixsatambp in twitter in order to petition Apple to fix this. http://twitter.com/applefixsatambp

I returned my 13" MBP on Saturday with no restocking fee due to this issue.

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

This is how I figured they had programmed the logicboards. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working. That said, it's a firmware issue and can be upgraded/updated.

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

This would be good if true, but I have trouble believing it. How would it know it's an SSD? It's just a standard SATAII bus. There is no indicator to say "I'm a hardware drive" or "I'm an SSD". Just not believing this explanation.

7. P Mentior macrumors regular

The drive does provide details about itself to the computer. You can see for yourself, just look at the system profiler to see what the computer sees. I don't think it would be too hard for it to figure out if the drive was disk based of SSD based.

8. Fender321 macrumors member

It doesn't look like it's been mentioned anywhere, but an update just showed up in software update on my new MBP:

"MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.7 addresses an issue reported by a small number of customers using drives based on the SATA 3Gbps specification with the June 2009 MacBook Pro. While this update allows drives to use transfer rates greater than 1.5Gbps, Apple has not qualified or offered these drives for Mac notebooks and their use is unsupported."

9. fireball360 macrumors member

maybe they only enable 3.0 if you buy the ssd from apple...

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Well there we have it then.

Case closed. Next 1500 post issue please. :)

11. macat thread starter macrumors newbie

Great news! Just updated the firmware and it looks like we are finally cooking with gas. Now running at 3Gbps.

12. limo79 macrumors regular

They should unlock older Macs with ICH8M SATA 3Gb/s interface too.

13. macinsanity macrumors member

Some benchmarks would be awesome? Which drive do you have?