Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is sending surveys to select owners of the now-discontinued 2015 12-inch MacBook, asking them about their opinion on the laptop's size, feature set, and more.

retina_macbook_air_2015_design-16x9.jpg

Apple announced the 12-inch MacBook in 2015 as a super-light and thin laptop aimed at customers needing an ultra-portable notebook. The 12-inch MacBook featured a fanless design, an Intel processor and was the first Mac to feature the butterfly keyboard. The laptop started at $1299.

The 12-inch form factor was considerably popular, as customers enjoyed its thin and light design. Apple updated the MacBook in 2016 and 2017 but discontinued it in 2019 following the launch of the redesigned MacBook Air with Retina Display.

The survey sent out to select customers of the 12-inch MacBook was rather generic. It consisted of simple questions asking customers for their opinion on the laptop's size, features, and what they would change about it.

Apple periodically sends out surveys to customers, and just last week sent out surveys to current customers of the iPad mini. Given the 12-inch MacBook has been discontinued, it's hard to assume Apple will reintroduce it into its lineup.

Although, given the survey, Apple may be beginning to realize the market that exists for ultra-thin and portable laptops and could be contemplating working on a Mac notebook tailored for that market demographic. Alternatively, Apple may feel there's no need for a 12-inch MacBook given its current 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro offerings with an added Magic Keyboard accessory.

A report last year suggested that an updated 12-inch MacBook would be one of the first Mac laptops to be announced featuring an Apple silicon chip. That did not come true, and Apple instead updated its 13-inch MacBook Air and MacBook Pro.

(Thanks, Zollotech)

Update: According to MacRumors readers, Apple is sending surveys about other Macs as well, including the iMac and the 13-inch MacBook Pro. Questions are similar with the MacBook Pro owner asked about ports, screen size, and more.

Article Link: Apple Surveys 12-Inch MacBook Users for Opinions on Size, Features, and More

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 0057252 and N69AP

MrGunny94

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2016
Malaga, Spain
I really liked the 12" form factor but never ended up buying due to those hot chips by Intel. Nevertheless I can completely see myself going from my Air to a 12". However Thunderbolt would have been a must because of my dual monitor setup (currently only using one of them due to M1 constraints)

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
The 13" MBA M1 is an incredible machine that fills the need of many if not most of the 12" MacBook users. Still, I would have liked to see the M1 into an even smaller form factor. If they would have plopped (technical term) the M1 into the last generation 12" MB and added the improved keyboard it too and priced it at ~$849 it would have been a huge hit. I really thought they were going to do that...

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
Just make an iPad that runs mac os with an aluminum keyboard that attaches so well to it that it behaves exactly like a laptop and not flimsy at all. They can make the screen side have a small battery and the keyboard side have a bigger battery. They could sacrifice some of the screen side features like a touch id button and internal hardware to make it a temporary iPad and keep all the good stuff on the keyboard side so its used primarily like a laptop. That way this iPad does not replace real iPads, it would just be useful for those times you need an iPad for a short time to do non mission critical things. Thinner and lighter just ends up taking away the one thing people pay a high price for, speed. If your making the thing to be more convenient, then take the risk to innovate, don't just shave the thing down and give bare minimum specs and call it an achievement.

Reactions: IowaLynn

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
If I were to buy another laptop, it would preferably be in the 12-ish inch size range and fanless. I could consider up to at most 13-ish if the bezel sizes were decreased, but the 14" is just too big for my tastes.

However, my current 16 GB 2017 12" MacBook is still fine for my usage, and my next purchase would likely be an OLED iPad Air / iPad Pro at around 11" or so, probably with Magic Keyboard. My current 10.5" iPad Pro is fine, but I would prefer OLED and slightly bigger screen, with a slightly wider aspect ratio, along with USB-C and a second charging port (in the Magic Keyboard). Face ID would also be preferred, or at least Watch unlock (which currently is not supported).

Right now when I go on short trips with no need for macOS, I just take my iPad Pro. When I went on longer business trips (pre-Covid), I'd often take both my MacBook and my iPad Pro (or iPad).

My main beef with the 12" MacBook is not the screen size. In fact I think it's screen size is very nice. My main beefs are the keyboard and trackpad, and the lack of separate charging port. The 2015 keyboard sucks, and the 2017 keyboard is merely OK. As for the trackpad, its feel is just not so robust. he click feel is better on the MacBook Pros of the same era. Also, I would have rather had a separate charging port than the headphone jack. Courage!

Can Apple just focus on releasing 14” and 16”, first before developing other size screen.
14" and 16" MacBook Pros are coming soon most likely. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that Apple can do more than a few things at a time.

Last edited:

ddtmm

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
I used the 12' for a while and the 13" a lot more. In my experience the 13" is the perfect screen size, for me at least. If I had the choice of Apple making the new 14" notebooks the same physical outside dimensions and the current 13", or making the 13" bezelless and thus smaller, I would choose the latter. I don't think I need the extra 1" of screen space.

That said, I have no need for the 12" screen at all.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I use a 2017 12" MacBook as my secondary computer to my iMac. I would certainly upgrade if a new one were released.

Reactions: robfoll

switz

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
East edge of Phoenix urban sprawl
Some of us long time Apple product users acquired the 12" MacBook early on. Five years later, our vision has certainly been decremented by age (over 75) and cataract surgery. The small print of the 12" screen has become more difficult to read without glasses. It was time to move on since this model is "gone" in terms of Apple support.

I got my wife a new fully optioned Intel 13" MBPro because of the four USB-C ports, the 32GB of Ram and the 4TB SSD. That much ram means the SSD is not a scratch pad for cache like in the M1 variants currently available. It is much easier for her to read and the text size can be increased as necessary. This model will be supported for several more years.

The M1 units now are first generation and it's memory and SSD limitations are the same in all current M1 based equipment being sold by Apple. There has been conversations concerning the excessive wear and tear (cycle counts) on the SSD being used for the cache with these current memory constrained units

If the often mentioned 14" and 16" models don't double or four times the current 16GB limits, I think the new sizes will not be able to entice sales to increase.

I think the successor to the 12" MB is the 11" iPad for now.

Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.