Apple Suspends All Active Filming on Apple TV+ Shows

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has suspended all active filming on Apple TV+ projects from outside studios, temporarily pausing work on "The Morning Show," "Foundation," "See," "Lisey's Story," "Servant," and "For All Mankind."

"The Morning Show" yesterday announced that it was shutting down production temporarily in an effort to prevent cast members and crew from catching the coronavirus, and as The Hollywood Reporter points out, the temporary halt on production has now expanded to all other Apple TV+ shows that are in the process of filming.

"The Morning Show," "See," "Servant" and "For All Mankind" were filming season two episodes, while "Foundation" and "Lisey's Story," were filming their inaugural seasons.

Netflix has also shut down all scripted TV and film physical production for two weeks in the United States and Canada, and Disney TV Studios has shut down filming on 16 pilots. Warner Bros. Television Group has stopped production on more than TV shows and pilots that were in the works, and CBS, Paramount TV Studios, Showtime, and the CW have postponed production on some TV content.

Several late night talk shows, including "The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon," "Late Night With Seth Meyers," and "The Late Show With Stephen Colbert" are also on hiatus until at least March 30.

Given the spread of the coronavirus, it is not clear how long Apple and other TV production companies will need to pause work on television shows, and how that will affect TV debut dates. Several films that were set to debut soon are also being pushed back from their theatrical releases, including "The Quiet Place 2."

Article Link: Apple Suspends All Active Filming on Apple TV+ Shows

mike9449

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2017
Phoenix
Well, I for one won't be affected since I never intended to watch any of them anyway. As for the other shows listed, let's see if it affects anyone to have the hosts no longer spouting their pearls of wit.

• Disagree
Reactions: TomaxXamot and Ar40

Biu_miu

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2016
Filming of some random TV shows for entertainment or the masses is much, much, much less of a priority than health of the people involved directly and indirectly

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Maybe Apple can extended free Apple TV+ subscription a bit? Many Apple TV+ viewers will be facing renewal in November. It will be harder to justify $4.99/month (or $49.99/year) when new contents are delayed.

Barkaritaville

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It’s not just Apple, unfortunately. Here in Atlanta everything is shutting down. My production is going on hiatus for 4 weeks to start. I agree that the safety of the crew and the Talent is top priority, but it’s going to be tough to not have a paycheck for a month. And it not like I can jump on another show - there are none that will be filming starting next week. Just going to have to suck it up and weather the storm. I’ll be fine, but I know a lot of people in this industry who do not work regularly that will have a tough go at it. Guess I’ll finally be able to catch up on the backlog of shows I’ve missed out on, that is until I have to cancel all my services to save money. I have never taken unemployment, and I hope I never will. Unfortunately, a lot of my coworkers are not so lucky. The next two weeks are going to be interesting, no doubt.

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Warning: ON TOPIC POST

I really feel for all of the crews working on these shows. I know in Vancouver many of the series have shut down and though it has not happened in Calgary yet, it will. Most crew members are contractors so there is no fallback, they simply are not going to be making money. As well, there is a limited amount of production that happens in a year and most crew need every day of work they can get. Don't get me wrong, it has to be done. If there was ever an environment for spreading a virus a film set is it! Still, this is going to affect many of my brothers, sisters, and kin working in the industry.

It is reassuring to read that both China and South Korea seem to be seeing the other side of this now so there is potentially an end in sight. Hopefully.

warp9

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2017
I work on one of these shows and we were given the shutdown notice today. It doesn't mean everyone goes home though-- only the cast and set crew. The production office remains open, along with other supporting departments.

farewelwilliams

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2014
Translation: “I don’t like it so NOBODY should be ALLOWED to choose to PAY for this service.” Good thing you’re not king. Some of us like some of the shows.
Good thing you're not officially a translator. Thanks for completely mischaracterizing what I said. There are plenty of possible reasons as to why I think it should shut down permanently that don't involve me liking or disliking the service but you chose one of the most pessimistic reasons. Typical Macrumors forums behavior.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The film industry here in Toronto is being devastated and we're not yet experiencing any community transmission and only a handful of cases arriving from international hotspots. Canada is doing a phenomenal job keeping things under control but I fear that while we're going to avoid mass infection, many many people are going to endure severe financial hardship because a ton of contract work is being cancelled. Meanwhile, rents and mortgages will still be due and people will still need to feed themselves and pay their bills. What a mess...

szw-mapple fan

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
Maybe Apple can extended free Apple TV+ subscription a bit? Many Apple TV+ viewers will be facing renewal in November. It will be harder to justify $4.99/month (or $49.99/year) when new contents are delayed.
I’m guessing the filming done right now is for the season beginning later in the fall. The content for this season (released or not) should all be finished by now.

Reactions: Ar40

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
Good thing you're not officially a translator. Thanks for completely mischaracterizing what I said. There are plenty of possible reasons as to why I think it should shut down permanently that don't involve me liking or disliking the service but you chose one of the most pessimistic reasons. Typical Macrumors forums behavior.
Don't expect a kind reply when you are being a hater who wishes to shutdown other peoples liking. You're being unreasonable.

MarkAtl

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2019
Buy a new qualifying Apple device. That’s the whole point anyway. Apple really doesn’t want you to pay for the service.
- - Post merged: - -

I’m guessing the filming done right now is for the season beginning later in the fall. The content for this season (released or not) should all be finished by now.
They might have a short or bifurcated season with the second half delayed.

I for one am looking forward to For All Mankind.

Reactions: Ar40
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.