Apple Symbol on Startup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dedeye, Jun 25, 2007.

1. dedeye macrumors newbie

Hello all! I have an ibook G4, with tiger installed on it. My battery is horrible, it barely holds any charge anymore. I was using the computer, when my charger plug slipped out. I didn't notice it, and the computer shut off. I turned it back on again, but the same exact thing happened, and it shut off as soon as it had booted back up. Now, when I try to turn it on, I get a screen with an Apple logo and nothing else, and it does not change no matter how much I wait. Any ideas on how I can get this fixed?

2. morphineseason macrumors regular

Try booting from your recovery disc and then do a repair permissions and repair disc from there. Instructions to start from the disc are labeled on the discs.

3. monke macrumors 65816

monke

The iMac Rev. B's had a problem similar to this.

They would start and then turn off, often never reaching the log-on screen, never mind the 'Loading Mac OS X' screen.

Their problem was a PSU (Power Supply Unit).

Sounds similar in your case. Hope it gets fixed! :)

4. dedeye thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah...the thing is, I can't really boot from a recovery disc...I don't have one. And as for the power source, what do you mean by that? I didn't think it was a problem with the power, because the computer stayed on for hours and didn't turn off...

5. monke macrumors 65816

monke

That's how it was with the iMac's, they would stay on then all of a sudden, some of them just stopped working.

Most of them were Power Supply issues.

Try and get into an Apple Store and the will help you more.

Also, try Apple.com Support

6. morphineseason macrumors regular

Well, to verify if it's a power supply problem, you could simply remove the battery and just run your computer for awhile with the power supply. If it stays running, then it obviously isn't a power supply issue.

I really think repairing permissions/disc is your best bet. You should always have a recovery disc handy anyways. OS X Tiger discs should be pretty cheap nowadays, especially with Leopard right around the corner.

Another thing you can try is resetting the PMU on your iBook. Instructions for this can be found at: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449 Scroll down a ways until you find the instructions for your specific model.

7. cvance macrumors newbie

Try taking the battery out, hold down the power button for 10 seconds, put the battery back in, and turn it on to see if it works. Hope this helped.