Apple T not working!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hcmeg, May 25, 2007.

1. hcmeg macrumors newbie

I have an iBook G4 and for some reason, apple T (command T) does not work as a shortcut in Safari to open a new tab or in Garage band to Split a track. The functions both work fine from the drop down menu and all other shortcuts that I've tried work fine also.

Anyone know how I can solve this?

:confused:

2. ricksbrain macrumors regular

Probably will get flamed for saying this, but you might try to repair permissions. Have you rebooted and tried it again?

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Check System Preferences --> Keyboard & Mouse --> Keyboard Shortcuts and make sure that that key combo hasn't been assigned to something else. (If you haven't customized anything, feel free to click the "Restore Defaults" button to make sure everything's as it should be.

4. AppleMan101 macrumors regular

check that it's still enabled in safari's preferences.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Doesn't hurt to check, but the OP says the problem occurs in multiple apps and the corresponding menu actions work just fine. So it's almost certainly not that tabbed browsing in Safari is off.

6. hcmeg thread starter macrumors newbie

Tabbed Browsing is enabled, I've restored defaults, I've even tried adding it as a new shortcut - still nothing.

7. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

bumping this old thread because I've just encountered the same problem. I can't open a new tab in Safari or Firefox with the command-t shortcut.

If anyone has any ideas on what could be wrong it would be appreciated!

edit to add: OK, I feed dumb answering my own question within two minutes of posting it...turns out I had command-T assigned to a speech function. I changed that shortcut and command-T worked in both browsers to add tabs.