Apple T.V. Or iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigbro1096, Oct 1, 2010.

1. bigbro1096 macrumors 6502a

Well it's my birthday in 5 days so should I save my birthday money and my Christmas money or should I just get an apple t.v. I feel very devastated but my parents aren't rich enough to get my an iPad : /

2. RonYosafi macrumors member

RonYosafi

3. Bleak macrumors member

Save up money and buy an iPad 2 when it comes out (probably announced in jan-feb) :)

4. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Get the :apple:TV now and save up for the iPad. That sounds like a win-win to me.

5. vw195 macrumors 6502

Definitely ipad over apple tv. Dont be an early adopter of AppleTV

6. Cartaphilus macrumors 6502a

Save it, and when you've saved enough, go buy a share of Apple stock and profit from the rest of us!

7. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

8. ellie2000 macrumors newbie

9. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

Next Gen iPad FTW, it's what I'm waiting for.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Apple or orange?

And if your parents love, clothe, feed, and educate you so that some day you can live independently you may someday appreciate how rich you are.

11. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

Actually that just sounds like he has normal parents. But if they buy him an iPad, then he can appreciate how rich he is.

12. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

iPad - here is why:

1. Access to more content: Netflix, ABC Player, Hulu Plus, AirVideo many more (many also have TV out capabilities to watch on the big screen)

2. It does so much more than just watching videos

3. You can rent or buy content just like the AppleTV (except you can actually buy things on this)

4. AirPlay will be a huge feature of the AppleTV allowing you to start watching any video on the iPad and push it out to the AppleTV - so get the iPad now and save a $100 later when you want to start using an AppleTV

But the iPad is a much better way to watch video now - in the future ATV will be great - I've got one - but the iPad is the way to go if you have the money

13. belltree macrumors 6502

Neither. The Apple TV was just released so I would advise waiting it out for a bit to see some solid user reviews or even waiting until 2nd gen.

As for the iPad they are near the end of the first hardware cycle. Why buy one now when in 2~4 months the 2nd gen will be released with at minimum a front facing camera among other features.

14. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Depends. If you already have an iPod Touch, then there is no rush to get an iPad. If you don't have NetFlix, then the lure of an Apple TV is diminished.

My advice... save your money. Do some research. 50% of the enjoyment of a purchase is the time researching and investigating leading up to the purchase itself. Look into the capabilities of the device you are considering. Think about how you might use those in your daily routine. Think about things you might be able to do if you had the device (that you can't do without it). Think if those ideas are realistic or simply fantasy. "Who am I kidding, that's another thing that I'm never going to do." :)

Sometimes we are more in love with the idea of doing something rather than the thing itself.

15. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

That's a hell of a stat man. Not sure if I agree with it entirely. I'd say 50% comes from the anticipation of making the purchase or receiving the product. The 2 weeks that I waited for the iPad was very exciting. Maybe I'm just hypercompulsive, but who researches anyways :D ?

16. Reddkryten macrumors 6502

From what I can tell the iPad does everything the apple tv does and more. If you get the connector cables you can plug the iPad into a tv and watch away.

The only area where the Apple TV seems to have an advantage is the remote. With my iPad I have to get up and walk over to it. It's a little bit of an inconvenience when my phone rings and I need to pause....however it's not £99 worth of inconvenience.

17. IrishTiger macrumors regular

I'd say both. And I know that doesn't answer your question. Basically -the ipad is amazing pure and simple. I ordered my 64 3G in early april and got it on launch day. Best purchase I've ever made. Now, i have also ordered 2 Apple TV's. They're $99 and you can't really go wrong with one of those. If you HAVE to chose one or the other - take the iPad. You can always squeak out the 100 bucks later for an apple tv. :cool:

I know. the entire month of April was just a killer for me. I checked the order status about 3-4 times a day!!! Haha

18. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

This^^

Get an Apple TV now, they've just been released and are only going to get better as more functionality becomes available (key word here is the ATV app store). If you are in the US, I wouldn't go for an iPad now as the next gen will probably be only 3-4 months away, which would be enough time to save for one - Christmas is just a round the bend, so hopefully you'll get some cash to put towards a next gen iPad.

19. LinMac macrumors 65816

I own one version or another of nearly every Apple product sold so I'm a very loyal Apple customer. Macbook Pro, Macbook Air, Macbook, 32GB iPhone 4, 64GB iPad WIFI+3G, iMac, and I can go on.

In my humble opinion, the AppleTV is junk. It doesn't have enough functionality and doesn't support enough codecs to justify the price when competing products offer similar or superior functionality at a similar price.

Just think about it this way: Netflix steaming, Hulu/Hulu Plus streaming, etc are superior options to renting shows for $0.99 each. Got Piracy? The codec support of the AppleTV will require you to convert every file via Handbrake or similar software. Save yourself the headache and get a Boxee Box or something similar or just buy an iPad.

AppleTV is junk.

20. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

True, but you'll need to convert for an iPad too (VLC is currently less than stellar - my attempts have all been marred by crashing or artifacting) so you've killed one bird with two stones.

As a side note, for those of us not in the US (i.e. no access to Hulu, Netflix or even many of the ATV alternatives) ATV is actually a pretty good option - which is why I am getting one in a month or so.

21. pgtruesdell macrumors member

pgtruesdell

I'd get both since they'll work great together once iOS 4.2 comes out. Airplay FTW!!

22. LinMac macrumors 65816

The OP did not mention using the iPad as a TV, but Air Video, PlayOn's new App etc are options on the iPad. Don't forget the power of applications.

23. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

I saw Apple TV last night for the first time. I was going to buy one but they were sold out. Will order online.

Get both!